When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Deluxe Hornet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Roger

On Training Wheels
While on vacation in Florida, I came across this 57 Deluxe Hornet sitting in a bike shop in Port Charlotte. The bike was on consignment from the owner so I made an offer and was able to pick this beauty up for $350. The bike shop stated that it was a one owner and gave me the phone number and name of the owner. After the purchase, I called the owner up to thank him for accepting the offer. He stated that he was now 74 years old and that he had purchased the bike new when he was 14 in Perth Amboy New Jersey at a shop called Gardella's bike shop. He stated that the only thing changed on the bike were the tires, tubes and handgrips. The rear reflector does not seem original however. The horn has the tank button but the actual horn is missing. As well, the Rocket Ray needs some work. Other than that, the bike is original. The previous owner stated that he could tell me about every scratch that is on that bike. I asked about the bent rack on the rear fender. He stated that he had met his wife while they were in grade 7 and that she used to ride on the back (You gotta love a story like that). I questioned the rims. They have no rust and look new. He stated that those are indeed the original rims.
20170413_161536_resized.jpg
20170413_162140_resized.jpg
20170413_161536_resized.jpg
20170413_162005_resized.jpg
20170413_162140_resized.jpg
20170413_162202_resized.jpg
20170413_162210_resized.jpg
20170413_162222_resized.jpg
20170413_162258_001_resized.jpg

I have taken the bike out a couple of times and it rides beautifully. I don't expect to do much in restoring it. I have ordered a set of decals and will likely buy the replacement horn. Besides that, only a good cleaning and greasing is required. I am very happy with this bike.

Great story on how you scored such a sweet ride, thanks for sharing. You did an excellent job cleaning it and adding the decals. It's awesome ! hope you can enjoy it for years to come :)

What a great looking survivor. If I had a set of 50's black grips in my parts bin I'd send them to you. ;)

I've never seen a Schwinn chain guard with that paint scheme.

I have a set of white Schwinn grips for that bike.

Back