When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bulldog1935

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Not mine - wish it was. Ebay/UK show and tell that was highlighted on Classic Rendevous.
Just too perfect and a too great a detail photo set to leave alone - all that's missing is a brake detail.
No, I won't be bidding, but could make this size fit...
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

reported in the ebay listing as original owner and shop-maintained.

Sheldon has a 1958 catalog listing
07lenton-gp.jpg

Last edited:
Again Mike, not mine - just too pretty to not post.
I'm sure those had to be replaced along the way and they look like they could date into the 70s.
He did report the bike had been shop-maintained.

ps Mike, while we all like to see those time-capsule bikes that someone purchased then ignored, a bike like this, that has been used, never abused, never weathered, and well-cared for, has so much more class. In the bike-boom bikes, the time capsule versions have greater value. But when you get this age and rarity, the ridden and cared-for bike is worth just as much as the ignored time-capsule bike.

I had a fun ride Friday on my old Raleigh. Everywhere I stopped, it started a conversation, and I was very happy to share our history together.
One woman, whose husband was enamored with my Raleigh, said, "it looks retro."
Well it is 40 years old...

Last edited:
something else I really like about this bike are those short-reach bars
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FOFYAAOSw%7EoFXGKZE%2Fs-l1600.jpg

This is a bike that was built to live with daily, tour distance, and generally ride upright and cozy.
The Raleigh catalog lists the bars as Reg Harris road bend. Makes me wonder if those gorgeous compact drops are actually the original bar.
I believe the saddle is a swap. The catalog lists Brooks Swallow, and his saddle is much more upright (wide, cozy), though probably has been on the bike since day one.

I'd turn that saddle clamp around, unless you need the saddle closer to the stem & bar.

I've got a Hercules very similar to this. I had shoulder surgery recently so I can't get it out for a photo session until I can use my arm again. I don't know if I'll be able to ride drop bars anymore and considered using different handlebars and saddle for an upright riding position. I love these old clubman bikes.

My Hercules is a puzzle. It has BH racelite hubs, 27" x 1 1/4" Dunlop rims, Benelux derailleurs, Williams half step chain rings that I was able to date to 1962. The badge is marked Birmingham. The frame has fancy cutout lugs, top tube is 1", seat and down tubes are 1" 1/4", thin tapered stays. I need to check the seat tube for a seam to confirm if it might be a 531 triangle. Fenders are Bluemels. Bars, stem, and brakes are GB if I recall properly. Paint is gold with box striping. It has braze ons for a frame pump on the top tube. It has an AMF marking but is far from the Hercules / AMF 10-speeds that are normally seen. I have long suspected it to be a left over Kestrel that AMF bought during the Hercules factory shuttering and move to Raleigh in Nottingham.

the frugal Brits will also use up parts.
I imagine more than one bike left Nottingham with a leftover Birmingham head badge.
A bike with that history could also have field mods.

Back