When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1957 Raleigh 'superbe'

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
My 1957 Raleigh 'Superbe' single speed with custom purple paint.
Perfect for those pub rides in the sunshine!

Pic_0720_001.jpg

Pic_0720_008.jpg

Pic_0720_004.jpg

Pic_0720_013.jpg

Pic_0720_007.jpg

Pic_0720_008.jpg

Hi fattyre,
That was an original Raleigh fitment for many years.
There's a thick steel lug brazed onto the steerer headtube with 3 holes in the underside, turning the key raises a pin into any one of these holes enabling you to lock the steering in the left, right or straight ahead positions.
Unfortunately I haven't found the correct key yet so can't currently use this feature. I'm always hunting for one though.
I believe they were available on Raleigh, Rudge and Humber models.

That is a nice job you did on your Superbe .I have a 1966 that I really like but yours is much better looking.I really like those brakes on yours .I don't have a key for my fork either.I was thinking of contacting a local locksmith to see if he could make one. Did you replace the wheels ?
IMG_1571.JPG

The front wheel is totally original with a Dunlop stainless steel rim, but the rear is a replica style replacement. Everything else is original except the saddle and grips which are modern Brooks.
Keys are still available via Ebay UK occasionally for the fork lock but you need to know the lock code number (there are around 25 different I believe).
It's very difficult to find out the number without destroying the lock whilst attempting to remove it so you're in a bit of a catch22 situation!
The brakes look good but they're not that good for emergency stops!
I see you have a front dynohub on yours, is it in working order? I have a '54 Rudge with a rear wheel 3-speed dynohub that I've yet to try.

Thanks for the info.I think I will leave the lock alone,I can live without the key . Thought it would be cool to have it functioning but I don't want to mess it up.
My dynohub is in fine working order,I don't have anything to power with it at the moment .This is my first Superbe,I hope to find more . Brooks saddle will finalize this build someday.

My sentiments exactly re. the lock.
Ebayuk usually has a good range of old brooks saddles and dynohub lighting sets available, though they can be a little pricey.
Good luck with your search.

It's Halfords 'berry purple', and is not to everyone's taste. It's caused a few raised eyebrows and comments of "WHY??!!!" etc. on my local vintage ride out.
But love it or hate it, I too think its a cool colour.

Back