When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1959 Tornado

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hawkster19

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I hope this post doesn't make the Schwinn purists on here cringe but here's my latest build using a 1959 Schwinn Tornado. I found this frame (along with the fork, sprocket/crank, and a few other original parts) stuck dropouts first in the wet mud at the spring Memory Lane show for $20 and I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough to save him. I have always wanted a Tornado and this one has faded to that gorgeous burnt orange color these often times get. I'm a sucker for orange so this one was like hitting the jackpot.

Sometimes the most well planned builds don't fit together as you planned and you end up with a collection of parts that don't ride smoothly enough to your liking. You may end up riding the bike for awhile but it doesn't capture your heart and you eventually part it out. That will not be the case with this build as it rolls like a dream, just like most Schwinn builds I've done. I love this thing and it's instantly a permanent part of my collection. I may eventually look for a chainguard but I'm digging it as-is for now, including those crazy fenders I purchased as part of another rat rod.

Hope you enjoy my latest creation!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

Here is my '59 Tornado . I put high bars and an old Stingray seat on it , to keep it rideable for a full size adult. This is a Jan 59 bike , the double straight bars are not really straight , more of a slight DX like curve to them.

20160424_165037.jpg
20160424_165010.jpg

Cool build. Is it supposed to be a deluxe? I just got a red 61 tornado at a garage sale. My friend called me and only got to say hi, old bike and garage sale at (insert address here). I grabbed my panther and rode about 100,000,000 mph to the sale where I threw $25 at the lady and walked away with my "64" panther on left and a 61 tornado on my right.

Gotta love those 24 inchers... Looks GREAT!

The curved bar ones are a bit on the hard to find side.

REC

Back