When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Coppertone Schwinn Continental

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sweet bike, I am sure it will look great when you get it done. I was out and about today and saw a mid to late 70's Twinn that was in decent shape. They had $500 on it. Does anyone know what the going price for these are?

Sweet bike, I am sure it will look great when you get it done. I was out and about today and saw a mid to late 70's Twinn that was in decent shape. They had $500 on it. Does anyone know what the going price for these are?
Thanks.

Not $500 dollars, thats for sure. Ive seen em listed for months on end at $200.

Disassembled, cleaned, polished, and waxed. The paint, decals, and chrome are very nice. Got the head set reassembled and the shifters mocked up.

I discovered something today. The headtube is brazed rather than electro forged. The joints are very nice and very smooth so it is hard to tell, but you can see the fillets in spots. There are no holes in the headtube like a stamped and welded head tube has. When I get a chance ill pull out my '60 and check it out also.

0fe19dc6b078a578d23f28c3d57bbca5.jpg

Interesting find. I never caught that on my late 61 Conti when I had it torn apart.

A Coppertone is going to look Bad Asp!

I discovered something today. The headtube is brazed rather than electro forged. The joints are very nice and very smooth so it is hard to tell, but you can see the fillets in spots. There are no holes in the headtube like a stamped and welded head tube has.

Very interesting! It may be a lack of tooling for the 23" size thing, which would mean that 23" Varsities would be the same, Note that Schwinn also fillet-brazed the headtubes on the 25" Continentals in 1970, the early '72 26" Continentals (and Varsities), and the '82-'83 28" Continentals.

When I get a chance ill pull out my '60 and check it out also.

Is your '60 the same size as your '61? If so I bet it is also fillet-brazed as once they would have had tooling to stamp the headtubes they would have been electro-forged. If not then perhaps they had a problem with that tooling and temporarily fillet-brazed them until the tooling could be repaired?

It would be interesting to check '62 and '63 models since '63 was when they changed the frame geometry from 69 to 70 degree head and seat-tube angles, so all-new tooling would have been required.

My K0 (Oct 60) Continental is a 21" frame, it has an electro forged headtube.

Last edited:
Back