When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Schwinn Skipper value???

-

bhando

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just picked up this 1961 Schwinn Skipper,all original except for the pedals, and it's around a condition 7-8.

Super clean and rides great!!!

I am considering selling this bike and was curious what the value of this two year only frame style.

Please help a "newbie Schwinn" guy, I'm slowly being pulled in your direction!

Thanks for any and all help.

Brandon

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 2,642
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 2,467
You don't see to many of those around, even thought it was a low end bike. Yours looks like it's in excellent condition and I would have to agree on the $ guesstimate above. Skipper's sister Debbie sold not to long ago for $100 but girls bikes never sell for what a top bar bike sells for.

These are a little bit of a wild card. Very basic bike, but also not that common. Kinda hard to find, but not all that much collector interest. Local sale you're likely looking around $200. eBay, heck, could go higher if two people really want it.
Cheers, Geoff

The tornado frame is similar but not the same.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,434
I think that Skipper is pretty unique. It has all the 1961 parts and markings but it's using the 1962 only Typhoon frame. Weird. What's the serial number?

A couple years later, it's become clear that the second frame design was a mid '61 intro. So, there are Tornados, Skippers, and Flying Stars with that "Typhoon" frame.

Back