When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 Skipper Refurbish

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike boys

Look Ma, No Hands!
Ive had this on an other thread before and in the faded chain guard the Sk--per I saw very faint. It was painted pink then red without primer not professional. I bought it for 20 bucks and I'm in the process of fixing it with my younger brother. My brother and I started getting into old bikes since we were 10 and we're 5 years older now. Its a really fun hobby to be "busy" with. Here are some pictures of it when we got it, stripping paint with a 50+ year old blow torch, sanding,
IMG_0422.JPG

Pretty ugly
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
Still have some paint to get off the brackets
IMG_0424.JPG
and what came out of the crank. What's left of the bearings. Anyone know where I can get the skipper decal and new bearings and bearing cups? Thanks I'll keep you guys posted.
Noah and Isaac

Ive had this on an other thread before and in the faded chain guard the Sk--per I saw very faint. It was painted pink then red without primer not professional. I bought it for 20 bucks and I'm in the process of fixing it with my younger brother. My brother and I started getting into old bikes since we were 10 and we're 5 years older now. Its a really fun hobby to be "busy" with. Here are some pictures of it when we got it, stripping paint with a 50+ year old blow torch, sanding, View attachment 435407
Pretty ugly View attachment 435404 View attachment 435402 View attachment 435406Still have some paint to get off the brackets View attachment 435411 and what came out of the crank. What's left of the bearings. Anyone know where I can get the skipper decal and new bearings and bearing cups? Thanks I'll keep you guys posted.
Noah and Isaac

Hello Guys,
That appears to be a 24" bike based on the headtube. It also looks like the chainguard was mutilated!
It also appears that your work is cut out for you! It's nice to see someone of your generation jumping into the hobby. I will be watching to see where you go with this. I just finished re-doing one of these (and even the same size!) that was the last of the three sizes this particular design came in. Always liked them because they were different than the rest of the line.

In regard to the decals and such, they are slightly different on this size bike, but give Memory Lane a shot anyway. Are you going to original or just to get it back to "shining and rideable"? By the way.. $20 bucks was a heck of a deal, even considering the condition. Major score!

Good luck, and keep posting your progress. I'm anxious to see where this goes.

REC

Last edited:
I sent you guys a private message - has to do with parts. See if you can get into the private messages section. Let me know.

REC

Got home today and went right to work. Turns out my rims are shot. Rusted all the way through.. going to try to find some of them. Handlebars cleaned up very nice. Fenders are a little cringed at the front. May just keep them like that if I find some for cheap I'll buy them. I'll have pictures tonight again
Thanks

Looks like my brother found some new projects... got quite a bit of projects going on. But I'm still kicking on this skipper. Here is some pics of his new finds
IMG_0426.JPG
got some snow now...
IMG_0427.JPG
1970 Honda 350.

Here is some progress on this skipper. I looked at my rims and wow. They are trashed! It's been sitting for a while!
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
pink and red colors can't get out of my head... if they were a girl, why not buy a Debbie? Going to get some thicker sandpaper and hopefully get the bike with primer by the end of the week. Thanks for looking
Noah

Last edited:
Got home today and went right to work. Turns out my rims are shot. Rusted all the way through.. going to try to find some of them. Handlebars cleaned up very nice. Fenders are a little cringed at the front. May just keep them like that if I find some for cheap I'll buy them. I'll have pictures tonight again
Thanks

Great to see someone your age doing something besides video gaming or staring vacant eyed at a smart phone. Keep at it! I predict you will go far in life my son! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: REC
Thanks, yah my generation is nuts in my opinion, I kind of do my own think. I'm and independent person along with my brother. So can I get the Schwinn badge for the off memory lane and it would fit? Or would it be too big? Would I ask for a 24" badge? And the 8" star Schwinn decal on the frame is too big as well? All decals are smaller on this particular bike?
Thanks guys for your input guys your really helping us go further into this project

The head badge should be the one that's 3.25" long with the hole spacing at about 2.75". It would also be the one without Chicago at the bottom. Pretty sure the Schwinn top tube decal was pretty much the same on most all of these early 60's bikes, just make sure it's the one that has a slight curve. The smaller straight line decal was used on the down tubes and Sting Rays.

1961dlr_Skipper.jpg

Back