When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1963 Varsity Dumpster Find Value?

-

jerter22

On Training Wheels
About 8 years ago found this varsity in a construction dumpster. I put new tires on it and ride every now and then.
I finally decided to research it and found that it is a 1963. Does anyone have a suggestion on how much I should list it for sale?

Looks all original.

IMG_20160618_115146.jpg

IMG_20160618_115109.jpg

Cool bike...I like it. Just finished a '64 model in the same color, but with a 21" frame.
The "Turkey Wings" on the brake levers are not original to the bike. Other than that and the tires, it does look pretty original.
I remember that there is something about '63 and low flange Atom hubs. Metacortex can probably elaborate.

What kind of market did these bikes find in that era? Schwinn sold many during the Bike Boom, but in the U.S., cars ruled everything in the '50s and early '60s. Sales of children's and young people's bikes funded the adult bike production, which I've heard operated at a loss from the late 30s through the mid 1960s. Even this Varsity seems exotic for the U.S. market in the early 1960s.

About 8 years ago found this varsity in a construction dumpster. I put new tires on it and ride every now and then.
I finally decided to research it and found that it is a 1963. Does anyone have a suggestion on how much I should list it for sale?

Looks all original.

If I were selling it, a starting price $200 sounds OK if you are thinking of Ebay. To get rid of it faster $150. Craigslist probably less depending on your market. 23" bikes I would think are more desirable and that is as big as these got.

I would buy it if I could pick it up.

That's a real beauty. Looks like it has a vintage leather saddle too. That would be a keeper in my stable.

Back