When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Stingray

-
Yeah, for 3-500 at the big swaps you can come up with a nice one. This is definitely a prime example, though; you may not find many nicer '67 single speeds. Also, is this everybody's favorite local craigslist hound, Bill, in Shelby?

Not sure who you mean "is this Bill" I'm Daniel. The bike was on eBay for sale in Melvindale MI. The seller is Koolbikes I don't know the sellers name.

I may be selling this 67, not 100% sure but I just picked up a clean 66 and I don't need both, the bike is all original except for the repro tires. I don't think the streamers are still on it, it's been in storage since the ex moved out and I have to get it out and see.

photo0296_blowup-1.jpg

If it was up to me I would hold off for the shows coming up this spring.Memory lane always has these rays and you can bargain.

Vintage Original July 1967 20" Schwinn Deluxe Stingray Bicycle J39-1 Sky Blue

The 1967 Sting-ray Deluxe bike is original paint, no touch-ups, and it's a two speed coaster brake. The tires are original NOS Schwinn "seconds".
The J39-1 was made in 1965 thru 1968 only and the 1967 and 1968 models were only year with the front caliper brake. This might not mean much to the layman, but those that are serious collectors know the significance and scarcity of this model.

Oh yea, this is definitely not BILL.

Last edited:
The Blue color is very desirable in top condition with only very minor scrapes and no fading. A clean chaingaurd with near perfect original screen is definately a plus. Two speed with front brake and original clean wheels, pedals, sissy bar, seat and handle bars would make this a very desirable 67. If you could buy it for$450- $500 a crazy good buy and $600 that would be super, but at $700 or $750 still a good find for a top condition early Stingray Deluxe two speed with front brake in a great color. It is not really very easy to find nice original ones. If you had to replace components you lose originality and can spend a lot more, but a super nice original will always be hard to find and are really nice to own and admire. Looks to be a nice one and purchase decision probably depends on available hobby cash in hand. For me I love the two speeds and also the 3 speed sticks shifts and consider great original paint (lime, violet, sky blue, coppertone) and great original components as my top picks for Stingrays. I think it's best to buy bikes you really love and can afford and spending a little extra for the best around has it's rewards. Also the front caliper brake on J-39 was available on Deluxe models in 1965:

Deluxe Sting-ray
•A great new fun bike with a handsome array of equipment. New streamlined deluxe Sting-ray saddle, nylon studded whitewall rear tire, Sting-Ray handlebars, chrome plated fenders, extra large rear reflector. Flamboyant Lime, Radiant Coppertone, Sky blue or violet.
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, coaster brake..........$56.95
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, 3-speed................$56.95
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, 2-speed coaster brake with front caliper brake..$56.95

My original lime 65 deluxe has the 2speed overdrive and front caliper brake .

Last edited:
The Blue color is very desirable in top condition with only very minor scrapes and no fading. A clean chaingaurd with near perfect original screen is definately a plus. Two speed with front brake and original clean wheels, pedals, sissy bar, seat and handle bars would make this a very desirable 67. If you could buy it for$450- $500 a crazy good buy and $600 that would be super, but at $700 or $750 still a good find for a top condition early Stingray Deluxe two speed with front brake in a great color. It is not really very easy to find nice original ones. If you had to replace components you lose originality and can spend a lot more, but a super nice original will always be hard to find and are really nice to own and admire. Looks to be a nice one and purchase decision probably depends on available hobby cash in hand. For me I love the two speeds and also the 3 speed sticks shifts and consider great original paint (lime, violet, sky blue, coppertone) and great original components as my top picks for Stingrays. I think it's best to buy bikes you really love and can afford and spending a little extra for the best around has it's rewards. Also the front caliper brake on J-39 was available on Deluxe models in 1965:

Deluxe Sting-ray
•A great new fun bike with a handsome array of equipment. New streamlined deluxe Sting-ray saddle, nylon studded whitewall rear tire, Sting-Ray handlebars, chrome plated fenders, extra large rear reflector. Flamboyant Lime, Radiant Coppertone, Sky blue or violet.
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, coaster brake..........$56.95
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, 3-speed................$56.95
•J39 Deluxe Sting-Ray, 2-speed coaster brake with front caliper brake..$56.95

My original lime 65 deluxe has the 2speed overdrive and front caliper brake .

Videoranger,
Good Info.
WoW ! I've never seen a '65 with a front caliper but it's listed in the Schwinn catalog.
But '66 didn't come with one, interesting.
Also, the 1965 J39 3-spd was $64.95 and the 2-spd w/ frt. brk. was $66.95 making the 2-spd w/ frt. brk. the top of the Deluxe Sting-ray Line.

It's interesting how the early catalog prices and later magazine ad prices changed by $10 on the J39 2 speed in 65. Wonder if costs increased or popularity let them charge more.

It's interesting how the early catalog prices and later magazine ad prices changed by $10 on the J39 2 speed in 65. Wonder if costs increased or popularity let them charge more.

These Are Fair Trade Prices In States Where Fair Trade Laws Apply. In Other States These Are Suggested Prices. Priced by Zone Retail ... J39-1 Zone 3 was $69.95 (overdrive only).

Hi folks, I know this is an old thread but shouldn't the seat for a 67 deluxe be a tuft? I have a couple and had to sell when the economy took a dump and now back in search of my first 67 in 10 years.

Back