When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Schwinn Paramount

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thinking about this a little more- I'm wondering if I am confused about the team time trial poster- perhaps THAT was 72, because I think there is a German cop in it I now recall. So if the bikes were blue in '72 then that's the one he had redone yellow. He and Dale rode for Team Follis a year or two after 72, leaving the Speedway Wheelmen, before Cool Gear Exxon. (Anybody want to buy a cotton Jersey/) Perhaps the red one was his 76 Road bike. I dunno- you'd have to ask him. I know he had at least one of them painted.

Last edited:
So I looked on the Breaking Away DVD- with 400 x zoom you can just see that the bikes were powder blue in the team time trial at least.

But I was confused about the year- that team is from '72- so I guess he had the blue one painted yellow just like the OP's. I recall seeing a blue one, and it seemed a little crazy that he re-painted a new team issue bike. I'm not sure what the red one was several years later- before the Exxon Grafteks. Anyway, no big deal- just a way to waste some time waiting for the winter to end!

Heres one in that same blue on ebay-http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-SCHWINN-TOURING-PARAMOUNT-OPAQUE-BLUE-25/231836234468?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D35830%26meid%3D31cbb8b47f0347f89edc90f7e3fff54f%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D24%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D281940251497

And so Highwheels- are you Roger Young?

Last edited:
Well I believe you are correct the only one who can sort this out today is Wayne. I know that the Team bikes in 1976 where all silver mist. The Olympic bikes may have been painted a different color and not decalled as team bikes as not all the riders were sponsored by Schwinn during the year. My Team bikes were to track bikes, one with Reynolds 753, one road bike and one tandem. No I'm not Roger Young.

image.jpeg
I have a silver mist color Schwinn track tandem. It has no serial number. Can anyone help me date this bike?

Post pics of the drive side of the bike. Check the underside of both bottom brackets as well as the LH dropout for the serial number. Schwinn also stamped a matching serial number on the fork steerer tube, so check that as well (remove the fork to see it). Post pics of the numbers when you find them.

The road tandems had the front drive moved to the left had side in 78 or 79. I did the vector analysis to show that the forces created with the cross over drive where actually lower then having everything on the right side. This also opened up the road tandem to have drive crank sets with three sprockets. Don't know if they followed suite with the track tandems as so few were made.

Post pics of the drive side of the bike. Check the underside of both bottom brackets as well as the LH dropout for the serial number. Schwinn also stamped a matching serial number on the fork steerer tube, so check that as well (remove the fork to see it). Post pics of the numbers when you find them.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Really, there is no serial number.

You posted a pic of the RH dropout, if there was a serial no. on the dropout it would be on LH side. The pic you posted of the grass has some blurry tubular thing in front of it. ;) Check all around the fork steerer, the stamp may be light.

The road tandems had the front drive moved to the left had side in 78 or 79.

I'm not sure about any track tandems as those were not in the catalogs but Schwinn changed from a single-sided drive TA crankset to a crossover drive Campagnolo crankset in 1977, which also allowed them to go from a double (10-speed) to a triple (15-speed) chainring setup:

1977_17.jpg

I did the vector analysis to show that the forces created with the cross over drive where actually lower then having everything on the right side.

That is very cool! It makes sense that the forces would be more evenly distributed with a crossover drive.

Back