1972 Schwinn Continental Restoration

Discussion in 'All Things Schwinn' started by bikemonkey, Jun 9, 2017.

1. #1 Posted Jun 9, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

http://imgur.com/a/UidWy

This album shows my restoration of a 1972 Continental that I just finished today.

The album was made for the customer and the link goes to him when he picks up the bike later today. It is kinda image heavy so be forewarned.

Thanks for looking!

20170609_112526.jpg

2. #2 Posted Jun 9, 2017

Wore out three sets of tires already!

A fantastic job on the restoration! Burgundy is one of the best Schwinn colors. I have a few comments which I hope are helpful: The "Schwinn Approved Atom freewheel" is actually a Schwinn Approved Model J (Japan), which was made for Schwinn by Shimano. The KKT RT-SF pedals were also original and correct for the '72-'73 timeframe, they were a factory substitute for when they had insufficient supplies of the more standard Atom 440 pedals. The only part that may not be original is the saddle, which should have been a Schwinn Approved version made by Mesinger and identical to the one on there except for the embossing on the sides (which makes me believe it may have been a factory substitution just like the pedals) Finally note that on the handlebar tape Schwinn used one 5-yard roll for the entire handlebars (cut in half to wrap both sides), you had to be very careful to follow the 1/8" specified overlap on the wrap to make it reach all the way from the tops to the ends on each side. ;)

#2 Metacortex, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    rustjunkie and Vintage Paintworx like this.
  3. #3 Posted Jun 19, 2017 at 1:16 PM

Look Ma, No Hands!

Your comments were very helpful - thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge!