When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

37 Side Stand Worse than Drop Stand?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy

Don't tell me they went from tip over prone drop stands to this by design? What is wrong with this side stand? Should it be arrow straight? Any way to fix without disturbing the oil flow from BB?

Thanks
Chad
IMG_20170418_171524.jpg
IMG_20170418_171440.jpg
IMG_20170418_171423.jpg
IMG_20170418_171355.jpg

That type of Miller stand was designed specifically for the Schwinn B model frame.
The curve is intentional to follow the curve of the frames chainstay.
It looks like your frame would've probably been originally equipped with the type of Miller stand designed for the D model frame, which had a straight leg to follow the D models straight chainstay.

Thanks Marty

I thought it looked intentional. It's hard to believe all the other parts that stayed with it all these years and the stand is what didn't make it.

Thanks
Chad

Could just be another case of the factory using what they had available, instead of waiting for the correct kickstand. Either way, what a beautiful bike!

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the curved Miller stand is original to the bike.
If it doesn't stand the bike up properly, then I'd replace it with the straight leg Miller.
They are commonly available, and would look better with that type of frame anyway.
The B model Autocycle guys are always looking for the curved Miller, so you could probably make a trade for the straight leg model.
PS. Nice R 90 S.
I had a 1958 R 60 and a 1972 R 75/5 for a few years.
I was teased a lot in high school because I rode a BMW.
But I would just reply with a curt. " Best Bikes Made, Mate!"

Yeah, it's definitely possible that the curved Miller stand is original to the bike.
If it doesn't stand the bike up properly, then I'd replace it with the straight leg Miller.
They are commonly available, and would look better with that type of frame anyway.
The B model Autocycle guys are always looking for the curved Miller, so you could probably make a trade for the straight leg model.
PS. Nice R 90 S.
I had a 1958 R 60 and a 1972 R 75/5 for a few years.
I was teased a lot in high school because I rode a BMW.
But I would just reply with a curt. " Best Bikes Made, Mate!"

It barely stands on its own. I just knew I was going to put a huge dent in it's tank by falling over trying to take pictures of it:rolleyes:. So I shoved the Persons stand under it.

I'm trying to preserve the crust on this one. So I'd hate to disturb the BB oil flow by replacing the stand. But I might have to...

Regarding the R90S, Thanks! And I would have to agree in regards to BMW motorcycles. I own a '76 & '06. Love em both!

Chad

It barely stands on its own. I just knew I was going to put a huge dent in it's tank by falling over trying to take pictures of it:rolleyes:. So I shoved the Persons stand under it.

I'm trying to preserve the crust on this one. So I'd hate to disturb the BB oil flow by replacing the stand. But I might have to...

Regarding the R90S, Thanks! And I would have to agree in regards to BMW motorcycles. I own a '76 & '06. Love em both!

Chad

I think the problem with wanting to fall over might be less to do with the type of stand, and more to do with the fact that the tires are flat. If the tires were inflated that may solve your issue. On the other hand that may not be possible with the original tires/tubes.

I think the problem with wanting to fall over might be less to do with the type of stand, and more to do with the fact that the tires are flat. If the tires were inflated that may solve your issue. On the other hand that may not be possible with the original tires/tubes.
Hmm...does it lean towards or away from the stand?

Back