When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'47 Hextube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This thread started a couple of weeks ago in another area of CABE. This is really where it belongs. I bought this Silver King in the '80s. I was always too broke to chrome plate it, and I didn't know how to polish metal. Well, I'm still too broke to chrome plate this bike, so I dipped it into liquid Mercury. Check this out. I made the little rivets out of small stainless bolts!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: REC
Curious.... How much were these hextube's going for in the 80's... Of you don't mind.

Curious.... How much were these hextube's going for in the 80's... Of you don't mind.
Funny that I have forgotten. I do remember that it was pricey, but everything was for me. Seems like maybe $300. The old money makes no sense in today's economy. It took a lot of work to make that kind of money. It was back when the Dow Jones had broken 1000 only 8 or 9 years earlier. That number was like breaking the 4 minute mile. Let's just say you could buy a lot of loaves of bread with that money.

Google says that is the equivalent of about a $1000 today.
What are they going for today? Back then you could pay your rent with $300. What does rent cost now? Inflation suggests that the increase in value often is a decrease in the initial investment. The skyrockets of today are the investments we should have made. The VW van, or the 356 Porsche would have made us money. I sold an oddball high wheel in 1994 for $8000. I bought one of the same in 2015 for $6000. Whoever bought that bike back then is not keeping up with inflation. And what will my $6000 turn into in 20 years? Who knows? The point, I believe, is in the emotional investment. The years of ownership outweigh a loss or gain in dollars. What's a Wingbar frame worth? There's one on eBay for $2500. Is that a month's rent?

I think for a really nice one that is correct to include a real deal headlight about $2k would be the upper limit. Although always a popular bike it seems to me the market for these has cooled in the past few years. I know some will point to the poor specimen that sold at Copake a few years ago for $5k but I consider that an anomaly. That bike was bought by the BMA who overpaid for a lot of stuff. I don't believe you can apply a linear inflation model to collectibles because of a lot of variables. The Bluebird is a good case in point. 20 years ago these brought around $12k which is just about what they bring now. Some of the more obscure stuff has found greater appreciation in recent years e.g. Huffman Safetys and Super Streamlines. Personally I don't look at bikes, or any of my collectibles, as investments. Thats why I have a 401k, IRAs, and stocks. Sure, at the end of the day I would like to see something back to leave to my heirs but this is a hobby meant for enjoyment. Worrying about whether I'm going to get my money back saps the fun out of it! V/r Shawn

I think for a really nice one that is correct to include a real deal headlight about $2k would be the upper limit. Although always a popular bike it seems to me the market for these has cooled in the past few years. I know some will point to the poor specimen that sold at Copake a few years ago for $5k but I consider that an anomaly. That bike was bought by the BMA who overpaid for a lot of stuff. I don't believe you can apply a linear inflation model to collectibles because of a lot of variables. The Bluebird is a good case in point. 20 years ago these brought around $12k which is just about what they bring now. Some of the more obscure stuff has found greater appreciation in recent years e.g. Huffman Safetys and Super Streamlines. Personally I don't look at bikes, or any of my collectibles, as investments. Thats why I have a 401k, IRAs, and stocks. Sure, at the end of the day I would like to see something back to leave to my heirs but this is a hobby meant for enjoyment. Worrying about whether I'm going to get my money back saps the fun out of it! V/r Shawn
Amen.

image.jpeg
In 1947 the Silver King came with fender rivets that cost almost nothing. Today 8 of them cost me $15! AND, I had to polish them myself. Good value.

Back