When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 Minutes With Goof-off

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I wish I could figure out what paints this stuff works best removing. Just buy a can to keep on hand and try it out on the next klunker you get. I think the spray can type wastes too much. Get the bottle and just brush on and work it back and forth a little bit and immediately wipe off.
I show a bike that a lady painted all silver and let sit out in her garden a couple years. Then she painted everything except the seat red. The red paint came off easily using easy-off oven cleaner. The silver paint just don't want to come off.
Parks stripper got it off the chrome but not completely off the original red painted areas. Goof -Off does nothing.
Some paints are just better....
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
This was a nice bike before she messed it up to place in her garden.....

I went and got a bottle of everything suggested for stripping house paint, nothing worked too darn well....or at least in a timely manner. I think good thick house paint is just a PITA no matter what you use and unless you REALLY want to see the stock paint its just a time consuming blunder of a endeavor. The orange and black RMS, yeah...strip it....a bike that there is 1000's of and will be worth $500 when your done, helllllll no, blast it and spray it.

... unless you REALLY want to see the stock paint its just a time consuming blunder of a endeavor. The orange and black RMS, yeah...strip it....a bike that there is 1000's of and will be worth $500 when your done, helllllll no, blast it and spray it.
Dave, You are leaving out the fact that we love her!
Painstaking hours to show as much "Original Paint" is NOT for monetary gain; its love!
I spent some time "loving" but I still would rather Ride.

Wow, never would have guessed that nice paint was under there. I never have any luck removing paint from bikes.

easy-off oven cleaner? YIKES, ISN'T THAT CORROSIVE?

Yes, it can be if left on too long. I've used that method a couple of times. You limit the exposure to just a couple of minutes, which is long enough to remove the outer layer of paint. You immediately neutralize it with water after it really starts to bubble. It is exceedingly difficult to get the oven cleaner method to pull overpaint without harming the original paint underneath. It's possible to get it right, but you really need to know what you're dealing with and how long to leave the oven cleaner on. If you go too long and you'll strip to bare metal. If you miss some in cleanup, then the part will rust quickly.

My experience is as follows:

Easiest: water-based, latex paint (you should be so lucky that it's this)- cleans up with a light scouring pad/sponge and lots of water

Annoying/Messy: oil-based house paint, regular spray paint. Sometimes acetone, sometimes Goof Off. Paint thinner usually not strong enough. Xylol/stripper may work too. Watch out for very old, white paint- could be lead based.

Hard: Acetone-based auto paint. Often melts/binds with the original paint. Acetone will clean it, but it's really a tough clean up.

Awful: undercarriage paint/POR-15/etc. Really awful. Lots of acetone needed (LOTS). Oven cleaner may work, but it's a real gamble on exposure time.

To be honest, I hate paint removal. It's messy and involves some pretty foul chemicals.

Yes, it can be if left on too long. I've used that method a couple of times. You limit the exposure to just a couple of minutes, which is long enough to remove the outer layer of paint. You immediately neutralize it with water after it really starts to bubble. It is exceedingly difficult to get the oven cleaner method to pull overpaint without harming the original paint underneath. It's possible to get it right, but you really need to know what you're dealing with and how long to leave the oven cleaner on. If you go too long and you'll strip to bare metal. If you miss some in cleanup, then the part will rust quickly.

My experience is as follows:

Easiest: water-based, latex paint (you should be so lucky that it's this)- cleans up with a light scouring pad/sponge and lots of water

Annoying/Messy: oil-based house paint, regular spray paint. Sometimes acetone, sometimes Goof Off. Paint thinner usually not strong enough. Xylol/stripper may work too. Watch out for very old, white paint- could be lead based.

Hard: Acetone-based auto paint. Often melts/binds with the original paint. Acetone will clean it, but it's really a tough clean up.

Awful: undercarriage paint/POR-15/etc. Really awful. Lots of acetone needed (LOTS). Oven cleaner may work, but it's a real gamble on exposure time.

To be honest, I hate paint removal. It's messy and involves some pretty foul chemicals.

SOUNDS LIKE GOOD INFO!
THANKS FOR SHARING.

Back