When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

50s JC Higgins Help?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Hammer

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi again I just bought rescued another bike the owner told me it was a 1950 JC Higgins Deluxe but I want to post the serial and model number and get some help from the experts

Serial # 142389
The model from what I can tell it
502 275 and it looked like MOS Q above the model number

So my questions are what year is it and what model is it I would like to know what kind of tank to put on it and what the proper headlight it for it I am slowly going to start getting it back into shape it does rode I aired the tires up and it rode well the brakes suck they hardly stop and jump a bit don't know what's going on there any help would also be appreciated I'll attach a pic and let you guys gimme some help!!

IMG_20170227_215653834.jpg

IMG_20170227_215702938.jpg

IMG_20170227_215716025.jpg

IMG_20170227_215912325.jpg

Something doesnt look quite right with that springer. Chainring looks like Colson/Evans
Chaingaurd is aftermarket.

I thought the Springer was funky I thought it was supposed to attach down on the front hub? Not sure hopefully you guys can help me get the old girl straightened out

The fork part on your bike is a 1949 model J. C. Hiiggins and is missing the front truss rods and lower rocker arms. Your spring is off a boy's vertical springer that was used typically on Hawthorne and Rollfast bicycles from 1938 to 1948. The same spring was used in the horizontal 1950's forks up to about 1955 or so. your springer should look like the second fork in the photo below.
011.JPG

The spring in your fork comes from this bike: If it works for you and you are happy with it, you have a future custom rat rod.....
1941 hawthorne american mint 1.jpg

One other thing.... it's an old "boy", not a girl.

Last edited:
OK so does anyone know what tank this should have or take if it didn't come with one? I cleaned the old spray paint off and the original red paint is still there so if anyone has the right springer,tank and chain guard message me! And I thought that if a guy owned it, it was a female? I call my boat my truck and my Goldwing all girls too

MOS-Q dates your bike to 1951.. The early '51 models were the same as '50 and would have looked like this...

20170211_155334.jpg

You have an original frame and partially complete fork... The rest is either incorrect or missing.. :(

Thank you for the info! I can already bet this is going to be a pricey little project! So for starters who has a tank like this one above for sale? That batwing light is a big ticket too but I need something to do so I'll be posting in the classifieds looking for parts. I am still optimistic about the bike I pulled it out of a shed it was headed to the junk pile for scrap pick up so it deserves a new lease on life

You're welcome! Yes, it's all expensive stuff and you could buy a nice complete one for quite a bit less than what it would cost to find/buy all the parts. You may be better off just building a fun rat rider from the parts you have.. Either way, enjoy your project!!
:cool:

I have thought about that and with the paint removal I'm thinking that's the way to go! I would still like to put the right tank on it and just go for a headlight that fits it either way I never start without consulting the Cabe council

Back