When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

79 Spitfire 5

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kajun72

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Well found a Spitfire 5 at my local community bike shop. It's all there, but needs some tlc. Paint is chipped all over, s-2 rims are rusty inside. Atom drum brake needs new pads. I do not know where to start? What should I do about the rusted steel rims and paint? Any advice would be appreciated.
4b34010b7fa30b834b11da884638a61a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't paint it myself I would just clean it up as best I could with some cleaner wax. The fenders look like and add on, maybe at the dealership. I would just shine the wheels up as best as I could and ride.
I don't know about the Atom brake drum, my brother had one same color and year, less the fenders.:( Unfortunately, it was stolen the first time we locked it up at a bike rack, he had it about a week - 10 days, never got to wear out the Atom brake.

I agree. I would just clean the begeezus out of it and take the fenders off and sell them or use for another bike.

That should clean up real nice. Be very cautious on the decals and chain guard screening. They might disappear just waxing them. I don't care for fenders on these cruisers, but those look nice and fit dang good. They would look even better without that 70's reflector. Some TLC is all I would do, it's already a very presentable Spitfire.

Well thanks for all the advice so far. The fenders are very rusty underneath, so they are going to go. I have some touch up paint from, Koolestuff, schwinn sky blue, pretty close match. So I am going to touch up the bad spots and clean it, new pads for the drum brake (FYI 80mm x18mm moped brake pads with fit) and clean up the inside and seal and polish the rims. I have some new tires and tubes to install.

Get a brass detailing brush and work on the rims between the spokes. If the outer parts of the rims are just coated with surface rust, make a pad of aluminum foil, wet it, and rub the chrome until the rust is gone. If it's pitted rust, those methods won't work. It might not me like new but better. Here are some before and after shots of what these methods did to a Schwinn Typhoon I restored.
100_3952.JPG
100_3957.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG
IMG_1991.JPG
100_4201.JPG

Back