When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Burning Desire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I know some folks will see the bike I have posted today and think " Why did he post that here, it should be in the customs " Anyone who knows me knows this is my favorite rider..We finally have a beautiful day here in Chicago -land. Even though I have a stinken cold I can't let the first nice spring day go to waste.....gotta ride!
001.JPG

Lots of new folks here in this hobby lately. Some of you might be undecided as to what kind of old bike you want to find. Your budget might be kinda tight. One gets humbled mighty fast when they go to a show or they see the classics shown here on the Cabe everyday.
The nice thing about this hobby is you can buy a real hunk of junk and make it anyway you want.
This bike was one very rusty junky pre-war Colson that I recall 40 bucks was the purchase price.
That same day I seen these badly dented old crusty green Shelby fenders for 20 bucks.
008.JPG

Right then and there , moments after I bought those fenders I knew what this bike was going to look like, clear as day. [No, not a hunk of junk, but a work of art!] Below is a photo of a Colson that I just sold the other night to another lucky Caber. This is what the "green" custom looked like loooooong time ago as a stock factory bike. Pretty ugly huh?
014.JPG

The paint on "Green one" is Rustoleum rattle can. The striping is One Shot Ivory.
It has a Shelby guard
005.JPG
and "Jimmy D" springer .
006.JPG
A "Jiffy" motorbike kickstand
009.JPG
and an old valve wheel handle housing the reflector on the rear fender.
011.JPG
And of course....Two "machine guns" mounted on the cross braces.
002.JPG
010.JPG

I even got a machine gun on the old Rollfast Exercycle to shoot my wife with when she walks by!
013.JPG

Have fun with this hobby, that's what it is all about....
003.JPG

Be creative !!;)

004.JPG

Excellent! I like everything you've done. I like the airplane fender ornament. A car hood ornament? I've thought of doing that but most of the ones I find are too heavy. This one looks perfect. Great creativity...and that you did it low buck is very cool, and hopefully inspirational to show that you don't need to spend big bucks to have fun.

I know some folks will see the bike I have posted today and think " Why did he post that here, it should be in the customs " Anyone who knows me knows this is my favorite rider..We finally have a beautiful day here in Chicago -land. Even though I have a stinken cold I can't let the first nice spring day go to waste.....gotta ride!View attachment 440461
Lots of new folks here in this hobby lately. Some of you might be undecided as to what kind of old bike you want to find. Your budget might be kinda tight. One gets humbled mighty fast when they go to a show or they see the classics shown here on the Cabe everyday.
The nice thing about this hobby is you can buy a real hunk of junk and make it anyway you want.
This bike was one very rusty junky pre-war Colson that I recall 40 bucks was the purchase price.
That same day I seen these badly dented old crusty green Shelby fenders for 20 bucks.View attachment 440467
Right then and there , moments after I bought those fenders I knew what this bike was going to look like, clear as day. [No, not a hunk of junk, but a work of art!] Below is a photo of a Colson that I just sold the other night to another lucky Caber. This is what the "green" custom looked like loooooong time ago as a stock factory bike. Pretty ugly huh?View attachment 440480
The paint on "Green one" is Rustoleum rattle can. The striping is One Shot Ivory.
It has a Shelby guardView attachment 440465 and "Jimmy D" springer .View attachment 440466 A "Jiffy" motorbike kickstand View attachment 440468 and an old valve wheel handle housing the reflector on the rear fender.View attachment 440470 And of course....Two "machine guns" mounted on the cross braces.View attachment 440462 View attachment 440469
I even got a machine gun on the old Rollfast Exercycle to shoot my wife with when she walks by!View attachment 440471
Have fun with this hobby, that's what it is all about.... View attachment 440463
Be creative !!;)

View attachment 440464

Very well put sir! That made me feel humble today, as I could never afford to have a beautiful Pacemaker or arrow or a Colorflow I do enjoy getting a junker and making it my own, my first was a beat up orange krate I found while helping my neighbor clean his barn out and he let me have it for helping as well as a $20 bill, and I've been bit with the bug ever since, I found the old Schwinn forums bought and traded some parts around and got it rideable and sold it like a dummy, then started dragging home everything I found, I wandered away from the hobby for a few years until I found this old Higgins laying in a junk pile and it rekindled my fire for the hobby, I really enjoy looking at everyone's bikes and seeing the work that goes into them, and I hope I can for years to come, thanks for the inspiration buddy it was well needed!

IMG_20170227_215653834.jpg

Back