When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting schwinn springer

-

2psps

Look Ma, No Hands!
i recently bought a schwinn panther and it's my first bike with a springer. My current issue is that when I jump on the bike it seems to drop quite a bit and the ride is bouncy.

Besides losing some weight is there any adjustments I can make to reduce the amount of bounce?

Thanks guys I appreciate any advice.

No problem! Tip: buy a new one, even a used Heavy Duty spring may be a bit soggy.
There are other sellers on E-bay, I just selected that one.... Just make sure the description says Heavy duty or maybe "Whizzer" spring.

I agree that a new spring would be nice, but for now you can follow a tip from the "SCHWINN BUILT HEAVYWEIGHTS 1946-1964" book . I have done it and it works. You simply use a number of washers as shims where the spring contacts the bracket that is mounted on the bike.. Remove the long bolt and add a couple of washers, put the bolt back in, take a short ride and add or subtract washers until you are satisfied. You will have a decent - riding springer. You can then find a new spring at your leisure. As I said earlier, this is not an idea I thought up. I got it from the book and it worked for me.

I agree that a new spring would be nice, but for now you can follow a tip from the "SCHWINN BUILT HEAVYWEIGHTS 1946-1964" book . I have done it and it works. You simply use a number of washers as shims where the spring contacts the bracket that is mounted on the bike.. Remove the long bolt and add a couple of washers, put the bolt back in, take a short ride and add or subtract washers until you are satisfied. You will have a decent - riding springer. You can then find a new spring at your leisure. As I said earlier, this is not an idea I thought up. I got it from the book and it worked for me.

Yep. I read Geoff's book too. This trick worked like a charm. Great idea! Thanks Geoff! Very satisfied with the spring tension now!!!!

I put a couple washers on my original spring 1958 Phantom. Worked like a charm.You can also move the bolt in or out to adjust the spring rate.

Call me crazy, I like the loose more active springer. Maybe at just 178 pounds I'm not overloading it. Ever since the mid 50's to now I like the movement in the fork.

Back