When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventure Of The Sports Tourer

-

drglinski

Finally riding a big boys bike
Took my Sports Tourer on it's first "real" ride today since I've had it. Lots of steep hills so gearing was tested. I'm proud to say it works great (still needs a diff. freewheel as the smallest gear it has an issue, but I'm working on that.) I took a tool bag with me in case the crank issue came back (crank arm not tight enough) and I'm proud to say I didn't need to open it once. I went to Island Lake State Park in New Hudson MI.

truck_zpsmgl8gqez.jpg

There is an active CSX line that traverses the park.

RR%20tracks_zps5asuzblv.jpg

Island Lake

lake%206_zpsrtegam3k.jpg

lake%205_zpsfqjcapho.jpg

lake%204_zpse6kstcjk.jpg

lake%203_zpsaxgssi09.jpg

lake%202_zpsflz68tyy.jpg

lake%201_zpssr2tf6lh.jpg

In this one I was overwhelmed by the majesty of the Evergreen trees.

woods_zpsux0e5vkj.jpg

The bike rode great. I'm so glad and thankful I've finally got one.

;)

Looks like a great ride! About the freewheel, you don't need a new one, just a replacement small cog. I just posted about that in the topic you started on that subject.

Looks like a great ride! About the freewheel, you don't need a new one, just a replacement small cog. I just posted about that in the topic you started on that subject.
I saw that. Easier to replace whole freewheel than disassembly of said freewheel.

Is there a source for new cogs?

How about a how to thread on Schwinn lightweight cog replacement?

Is there a source for new cogs?

New cogs? No. But there is a virtually infinite supply of 14-28T 2nd+ gen (1972 or later) Model J freewheels out there, and many of them are barely used (like the one I linked to in the other topic here). Any of those could be used to source the small 14T sprocket he needs.

How about a how to thread on Schwinn lightweight cog replacement?

That would be great, but it's not really that complicated. All you need is a stable wooden base, a few drywall screws and a chain whip. You secure the freewheel from turning with the drywall screws into the wood (in-between the teeth of the largest sprocket), then you use the chain whip to unscrew the small sprocket counterclockwise. Once the small sprockets are off both the original and the donor freewheels, you merely swap them and screw them back on. Voila! Sorry, that was for a Model F, for a Shimano freewheel the expression would be: 出来上がり! :)

FirstCog.jpg

BTW if you want to remove all of the cogs, the 2nd one removes the same as the first (unscrew it counter-clockwise), then the remaining inner 3 cogs and spacers merely slide off (those cogs are splined).

Last edited:
Maybe something more comprehensive. How about a complete tear down of a freewheel, addressing shims, bearings, seals and cogs. The tools involved along with tips like above.

Personally I think taking freewheels apart is a waste of time but I know guys do it. Maybe I can be convinced there is some merit in rebuilding old noisy and loose freewheels.

If that's all it is maybe I'll just look into that. Always had fears of billions of parts and ball bearings everywhere, and not being able to reassemble the jigsaw puzzle. I think I can figure it out. Thanks

Maybe something more comprehensive. How about a complete tear down of a freewheel, addressing shims, bearings, seals and cogs. The tools involved along with tips like above.

Personally I think taking freewheels apart is a waste of time but I know guys do it. Maybe I can be convinced there is some merit in rebuilding old noisy and loose freewheels.

Do ya know what you're full of? GREAT IDEAS!

Back