When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Deal In The Making

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Anyone think this Sportabout is overpriced at $45.00?

00B0B_3XV1wY0lbVL_1200x900.jpg

Every one of these bikes I pick up and restore is one less Walmart POS that gets sold. It is saving bikes that were made to last and giving them new life and a chance to last another 40 years or so. Maybe by then, they will be worth something. I'm not a collector, at least not in the sense you are talking about. Hopefully, among all the bikes I will find one or two jewels that I can restore and keep for myself. But I'm not keeping a list, or turning up my nose at anything that can be saved from the landfill.

I knew that would have been taken the wrong way and wrote it anyway. Doesn't matter to me what you buy but you have me scratching my head over buying anything and everything. There are bikes that are more worthy of the time, money and effort of refurbishing them. I assume that's what you mean when you say restoring them.

Last edited:
Dont fall into the quantity over quality trap.I would rather have one 73 Paramount than 100 varsity's
I don't know about a hundred but you could probably buy about ten good Varsity's for the cost of one Paramount. Better to have both and a bunch of other kinds too.

I knew that would have been taken the wrong way and wrote it anyway. Doesn't matter to me what you buy but you have me scratching my head over buying anything and everything. There are bikes that are more worthy of the time, money and effort of refurbishing them. I assume that's what you mean when you say restoring them.

I agree.Just tryin to give a little advice to a new bike person. Most of the 70's road bikes from Schwinn are not worth the price of new tires and tubes.They are easy to get but not worth putting much money into.We have a bike shop that has "Varsity Mountain" where 70's Schwinn road bikes are piled up.Its easy to get carried away because of their low purchase prices and soon you are over run with them. Just sayin'

I agree.Just tryin to give a little advice to a new bike person. Most of the 70's road bikes from Schwinn are not worth the price of new tires and tubes.They are easy to get but not worth putting much money into.We have a bike shop that has "Varsity Mountain" where 70's Schwinn road bikes are piled up.Its easy to get carried away because of their low purchase prices and soon you are over run with them. Just sayin'
Totally! besides, who wants to look at a Craigslist junkyard everyday?

damn I'm good!

I appreciate the advice, and I'm sure you guys have lots more experience with this sort of thing. Right now, I am like a kid in a candy store, I want everything. I'm sure it will wear off. I just hate seeing these cool bikes rusted are neglected, and I want to save them from the junk pile. Where I live, very few of the high end lightweight bikes were sold new, so I won't be finding any at garage sales. And I can't justify paying $500 for a Superior that isn't complete.

You'll probably get over it when you own so many bikes that they take up every spare nook & cranny of your space and you begin to wonder what you're going to do with them all. At a certain point they can become a "ball & chain". Better to concentrate on the ones that you either really, really, like, or the ones that are worth something and will be easier to sell when that time comes(and it will, eventually). Take it from a guy who owns about 80 bikes. You probably don't want to do that.

Your goal is admirable,I did the same thing .Actually I still do it,just to a lesser degree. I always feel I am saving another cool old bike from the junk pile,but in reality many of these bikes we think we are saving will eventually be sold and put back in rotation . There are plenty of folks out there in this hobby that do not join forums so it is hard to get a good read . I sell bikes to like minded folks all the time that would never talk bikes to strangers on the web,but they are just as enthusiastic about bikes as I am.

Nobody can tell you what to do with your time and money so that is a non-issue . I think text over the web is a hard way to convey the message,but I think folks are just trying to slow you down a little .It is fine to learn on 25-50 dollar bikes but after awhile stepping sideways all the time will get boring . Nothing like finding something worthy of getting all excited about . If you stick with it and show some patience you will find the gems .I live in the sticks where good bikes at a good price are few and far between . I usually drive 3-4 hours one way for quality rigs,well worth it in my book.

Not sure if this ramble makes sense to you,just giving you my experience so far in this hobby. Have fun with whatever approach you take,and remember you can't save them all.

Back