When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Western Flyer ID Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

USAjane

On Training Wheels
Hi everyone. Any help identifying this bike is appreciated. This CABE thread seems to suggest the serial number indicates the year 1970: http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-project.7014/

But most websites say Western Flyer stopped production in 1959.

The serial number appears to be MO 2902 18

IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_6006.JPG
IMG_4982.JPG

IMG_7598.JPG

I have a 1991 Western Flyer I'm working on right now in the project rides forum. I have an '87 Western Flyer Wildcat stashed away too. Western Flyer was discontinued in 2001, with the brand being phased out as early as the late 80's.

Thank you all!! Based on the replies, I am guessing the CABE thread I referenced above (listing Murray serial numbers) is my best bet for guessing the manufacture year is 1970?

Is there anything else about this bike that you can tell me? Does this style have a name? It appears to be a 3 speed. This is my first bicycle restoration attempt (it has a lot of rust, broken brakes, not sure what else) and I am going to a local community bike repair shop for help. I don't want to go in looking like a completely ignorant chump when I show up with this bike :confused:

I'm buying the bike from an acquaintance who used it as a display in her shop. I have no idea what the value might be (minus repairs).

Any and all feedback on these issues is very much appreciated!!! :)

Thank you all!! Based on the replies, I am guessing the CABE thread I referenced above (listing Murray serial numbers) is my best bet for guessing the manufacture year is 1970?

Is there anything else about this bike that you can tell me? Does this style have a name? It appears to be a 3 speed. This is my first bicycle restoration attempt (it has a lot of rust, broken brakes, not sure what else) and I am going to a local community bike repair shop for help. I don't want to go in looking like a completely ignorant chump when I show up with this bike :confused:

I'm buying the bike from an acquaintance who used it as a display in her shop. I have no idea what the value might be (minus repairs).

Any and all feedback on these issues is very much appreciated!!! :)

This bike's model name would have been on the chain guard. Murray used silkscreens over the chrome guards and they wore off easily. You will have to buy a 1970 Western Auto catalog and match it up to something in the bicycle section if you really must now.

Repairs on these are very simple and straight-forward. You will catch on fast!

Back