When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another "what Is This?"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

LGibbs1372

Look Ma, No Hands!
This little lady belonged to my great aunt but was given to our family by her son after she passed away. I've got my hands full trying to clean up several bikes right now but I think this one is really worth my time and effort since it had belonged to a family member.

I found the serial number and found out that it was used twice for some reason so this is either a 1952 or a 1957 Schwinn. I've got a good guess of what model this is but I really don't want to embarrass myself if I was way off. I've cleared away two layers of paint on the chainguard to see if there was a name underneath but all I found was red paint and some white pin-striping, perhaps I got a bit too enthused and wiped the label right off or whoever painted it wiped it off.

Also curious as to what style badge I need to look, there's a bracket for one but it's missing.

(Sorry about the pix, it was getting dark out)
WP_20160609_13_13_26_Pro_zpso4intmef.jpg
WP_20160609_13_13_39_Pro_zps1d8fexai.jpg

What is the serial number and where is it on the bike. Also what size are the tires. Tires should say that on the side wall. The location of the serial number helps date the bike. The number of numbers also help date the bike. Schwinn reused numbers fairly often so you need to know some other things to be sure. Roger

Unfortunately it looks like your frame is bent. The seat tube behind the chain guard is bent and you can see a reweld on the top lower bar. The bar spacing is off and the handlebars are closer to the seat now. Since it is sentimental it might be a good wall hanger as is.

Serial Number is C14626 and is located near on the back of the frame where the rim connects into (unsure of technical name). This bike's been well used and abused so the front tire is a Schwinn replacement and the back tire is a Spitfire.

I saw that weld and wondered about it but when I removed two different layers of weird blue spray paint in that area, what looked like factory red was painted over it...it's a different red than the typical primer. The handlebar was actually hanging on by a thread in the picture, I moved it a bit later and the thing popped off. I mentioned this to my father and he wonders if someone customized this to fit my great aunt (apparently she was only 4'8") and sent it to a body shop to be repainted? I couldn't imagine that to be the case since the last of the three layers of paint is just layered over the rest and is rather chalky. I totally can believe the frame is weird on this since I've been told that she rode this bike everywhere. Dad used to run his own bodyshop and still has most of his equipment so it's not too much trouble to clean these junkers up and repaint them. Thanks for letting me know about the frame for future purchases though!

Last edited:
You must have used schwinncruisers.com's serial look up. Your serial number was actually use for three years, 1952, late 53 and in 57. No big deal since your bike is a 1957 middleweight and not a ballooner. The Spitfire tire was Schwinn's replacement tire for a non S-7 Schwinn rim, so that wheelset has been replaced along with the fenders.

Sweet, it's good to know what year it is, any idea of the model? I assumed it was probably a 57 since my cousin would have been old enough to ride bikes with his mother to shops by then.

Sweet, it's good to know what year it is, any idea of the model? \

Hard to say with the repaint and missing parts- the fenders would be a tell, but those aren't Schwinn fenders...if the pedals are original to that bike I'd say one of the lower end models ie: Spitfire or Hornet. The badge could be a tin Spitfire one or a standard Schwinn big oval. Lots of those girl's frames around if you wanted a straight one.

Darcie

Sweet, it's good to know what year it is, any idea of the model? I assumed it was probably a 57 since my cousin would have been old enough to ride bikes with his mother to shops by then.

Thru the process of elimination there is only one model it could be with a removable stand along with considering the guard and pedals as original. If they're not, then you may never figure out the original model.

It's not a :
Corvette.
Starlet
Hollywood
Spitfire
Hornet
Tiger
American

So what is the only model left? :D

Back