When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Know About What Year This Is?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Well go get it!

We have a thread asking how far you would drive to buy a bike. Most of us have enough bikes, too many probably, it would have to be something pretty special to drive hours and hours to go get it.

You forgot about the copy and paste thing already?

00N0N_bXdir2pB94d_1200x900.jpg

Well go get it!

We have a thread asking how far you would drive to buy a bike. Most of us have enough bikes, too many probably, it would have to be something pretty special to drive hours and hours to go get it.

You forgot about the copy and paste thing already?

Lol, no, I still remember. I was on the wife's Apple laptop, and could'nt get it to copy. I have no luck with those Apple computers, strictly a PC man. It looks like it might clean up pretty good, and it is only 45 minutes from me. The wife is going to have a cow when she gets home. I went from having no bikes last month to having six(if I pick up this one)now. We just went through the garage and got rid of a bunch of stuff so we can get both cars in this winter. Now it is a bike shop. Anyone have a couch I can crash on for awhile?

For what its worth the Varsity is more like mid 1960s. Pre 1968 as it has down tube shifters. My guess would be more like 1966 because of the coppertone color. Roger

That looks like a 1966 Varsity Tourist. That was the last year for downtube shifters and the first year it came with the color matched saddle. Fenders were also standard on these. It appears to be unmolested and original. Here are the dealer spec. pages (note a previous year black saddle is pictured, but the correct ones are shown in the parts listing:(

1966dlr_Varsity_Tourist.jpg

1966dlr_Varsity_Tourist_Specs.jpg

For what its worth the Varsity is more like mid 1960s. Pre 1968 as it has down tube shifters. My guess would be more like 1966 because of the coppertone color. Roger
Looks like it in the catalog. If I am reading it right, it looks like the tourist and sport are the same bike, with the only differences being the seat, handlebars and the addition of fenders.

Schwinn Varsity sport
with fenders 10-speed
The popular Schwinn Varsity 10-speed sports bicycle equipped for all-weather riding. All specifications same as Schwinn Varsity Sport, but with fenders, Radiant Coppertone, Sky blue, Violet.

• 219 Varsity Sport, 19" frame....$74.95
  • 221 Varsity Sport, 21" frame....$74.95
  • 223 Varsity Sport, 23" frame....$74.95
Schwinn varsity Sport
10-speed
First choice of value minded sports cyclists. Sprint derailleur, 38 to 96 gear, caliper brakes, hooded brake levers, Srint racing style saddle, sport pedals, 27" x 1 1/4 sports touring tires. Radiant Coppertone, sky blue, violet.

• 119 Varsity Sport, 19" frame....$69.95
  • 121 Varsity Sport, 21" frame....$69.95
  • 123 Varsity Sport, 23" frame....$69.95
Try this Test for Yourself...
Demonstrate the extra power you can get by riding in the crouch position with drop handlebars. Sit erect in a straight chair with both feet flat on the floor in front of you in normal position. Press down and notice the limited amount of force you exert. Now lean forward and move your feet back under your body. Now you can lift yourself out of the chair with the increased leverage. This same principle greatly increases your pedal power when you ride with drop bars in the crouch position used by all professional riders. Once you master it, you'll never ride in any other way.

1966-schwinn-varsity-tourist-traveler.jpg

Schwinn Varsity Tourist
10-speed
Smooth-riding touring lightweight with Sprint derailleur, 38 to 96 gear, comfortable mattress saddle, chrome plated fenders, front and rear caliper brakes, touring handlebars, 27" x 1 1/4 nylon sports touring tires. Radiant coppertone, sky blue, violet.

• 919 Varsity Tourist, 19" frame....$69.95
  • 921 Varsity Tourist, 21" frame....$69.95
  • 923 Varsity Tourist, 23" frame....$69.95

ok, he called me back. It's mine, going to go pick it up after work tonight. Does anyone think it would hurt the value if I converted it from "Tourist" to "Sport" configuration?

I would jump on that in a second for $50.

Looks like it in the catalog. If I am reading it right, it looks like the tourist and sport are the same bike, with the only differences being the seat, handlebars and the addition of fenders.

The pedals are also different (platform vs. rattrap). Also note that the Varsity Sport was available with Fenders that year:

1966dlr_Varsity_w_fenders.jpg

It won't hurt the value to convert from Tourist to Sport if you keep the Tourist saddle, handlebars/grips/levers and pedals. Note that the drop (Sport) handlebars do use different brake levers and cables as well.

I would jump on that in a second for $50.

The pedals are also different (platform vs. rattrap). Also note that the Varsity Sport was available with Fenders that year:

1966dlr_Varsity_w_fenders.jpg

It won't hurt the value to convert from Tourist to Sport if you keep the Tourist saddle, handlebars/grips/levers and pedals. Note that the drop (Sport) handlebars do use different brake levers and cables as well.
I have already jumped and landed, my friend. Picking it up tonight after work. Along with some sort of nice jewelry for my wife so she doesn't kick me out for bring home yet another bicycle. The list so far:

1975 Schwinn Speedster 3 Speed Flamboyant Red
1977 Schwinn Ladies Collegiate Sport 5 Speed Lime Green
1973 Schwinn Ladies Suburban 5 Speed Opaque Blue
1972 Schwinn Ladies Breeze 3 Speed Burgandy
1975 Schwinn Continental 10 Speed Sky Blue
1966 Schwinn Varsity Tourist 10 Speed Coppertone

I am looking forward to adding this mid-60's model to the lineup.

Last edited:
Back