When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Seen This One Before?

-
Hey GT

Did your springer have chrome legs or painted legs? Kind of thinking now the optional American springers had bike color legs. Picked this off the web. His is a correct period springer because of the shape of the end of the steer tube no matter what.

62 springer american.jpg

C'mon,really? it's a nice bike.pretty harsh.

It just wouldn't be the same if one of "those guys" didn't have something to say...it's the Internet! ;)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, found plenty of further info out there.
Just a couple more questions though...
The rear hub is busted, pedals forward but no brakes. Cranks just turn backwards.
Looks like a regular red band Bendix hub, but could this possibly have different guts than a normal hub ?
And what would be a good price to offer for it ?

Hey GT

Did your springer have chrome legs or painted legs? Kind of thinking now the optional American springers had bike color legs. Picked this off the web. His is a correct period springer because of the shape of the end of the steer tube no matter what.

View attachment 333702

I was wondering the same, but the 63 catalog has "chrome plated springer fork...A10 or A14" as an add on.
Wondering about the guard...could it have been a dealer add on too ?

Yes I'm definitely not sure which springer is correct. The dealer would do whatever the customer wanted but I doubt they would put that chainguard on but who knows.

So, around here a standard American in good, original condition would sell for $150...maybe $200.
I did find a sale for an HD that wound up parted out with no takers at $300.
The rest of the completed sales I could find we're for King size and they were in the $400-$500 range.
Thinking $250 for this bike ?
Any thoughts on that ??

250 sounds about right.
As for the rear hub,the grease might be hardened,causing it to stick in neutral.a good cleaning and regrease might fix that.

Yes I'm definitely not sure which springer is correct. The dealer would do whatever the customer wanted but I doubt they would put that chainguard on but who knows.

'62 and earlier was the bike colored springer fork.
1963 was the first year for chrome springer and chrome fenders....
I like the painted forks and fenders way more!

Bob,

I believe mine was a 1962 model. Radiant Red, painted fenders, 7000 seat and the wide boy scout bars. It's been a long time but I really think the fork had painted legs. All chrome would have struck me as really cheesy with the painted fenders so I'm betting it was painted. One other thought. I think the bike that I had came from the factory equipped as it was. Can't say for sure, but if you opted for a dealer added springer at the time of purchase or afterwards, it may have been all chrome.

Can I pick apart that pieced together FrankenAmerican that you posted above? ;)

Back