When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Technique To Remove Paint

-

TheDXjedi

Wore out three sets of tires already!
i am trying to find the best way to remove spray paint and save the original paint underneath..any help is greatly appreciated

Try "Goof -Off " first. lacquer thinner too if you have some. wash it on small area with a brush back and forth. You will know immediately if either will work.
Easy off extra strength oven cleaner. Spray on in a "test " area . Don't leave on long and wash off with water.
Last resort a stripper but ......it could take the original graphics and maybe the base paint with it. I like that new "orange" inviormently friendly stuff as it is not as caustic as Parks.
I am sure others will chime in here as to their favorites. I like Goof Off but it will not work on all paints.

Factory paint is lacquer based because it dried fast and didn't slow down production. Most do-it-yourselfers use enamel spray paint. So, I would try mineral spirits or paint thinner before using any of the "hotter" solvents. I'm afraid Goof-Off and lacquer thinner are going to take you down to bare metal. Personally, I've had no luck at all with the so called Evo-Safe chemicals.

I start every overpaint removal with hot water from the tap and xXxX steel wool. I also use Windex and the same steel wool...avoid the hotter stuff. 3m rubbing compound can also ease stubborn paint and get it moving. Trick is no matter what your poison... always go slow.

Factory paint is lacquer based because it dried fast and didn't slow down production. Most do-it-yourselfers use enamel spray paint. So, I would try mineral spirits or paint thinner before using any of the "hotter" solvents. I'm afraid Goof-Off and lacquer thinner are going to take you down to bare metal. Personally, I've had no luck at all with the so called Evo-Safe chemicals.

Depends on the era and the manufacturer. Most factory paint was an enamel.

Try ... lacquer thinner too if you have some. wash it on small area with a brush back and forth.
This is bad advice; You'll make a sticky mess of all the paint it comes into contact with- Lacquer thinner is much too "hot" for enamels.

I'm looking to remove some spray paint my self from this bike as you can see the paint is already flaking off whats the best step to take first
GEDC1341.JPG
GEDC1345.JPG
GEDC1347.JPG

As you have noticed...there are many ways to remove the spray paint and hopefully save the original color.

I tried chemical-strip in small amounts with a brush and
immediately wiped it off with a rag. No sanding of any kind.

This Columbia had been “spray-painted” green.
IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_4090.JPG

I took a photo when there was still traces of the green.
I applied the strip in small amounts and left it on for a very
short period.
Once the green was removed, I immediately used soap and water
to stop the chemical from further penetrating into the original paint.

I’m not saying this will work for you.
Only what worked for me.

And what ever you try....don’t sand at all.

Last edited:
IMG_4623.JPG
IMG_4621.JPG
IMG_4622.JPG
IMG_4625.JPG
IMG_4626.JPG
IMG_4630.JPG
My vote is not to buy house or spray paint bikes. This one is a lost cause now because some idiot used miultiple coats of house paint, I used Goof Off and a scotch brite pad very lightly, take was so incredibly caked up. I was gentle but started seeing bare metal. This kid even painted the bars, truss rods, wheels, you name it. No more for me, OG paint bikes only!

Back