When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

best way to straighten a fork

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

halfatruck

I live for the CABE
What is the best way to straighten the fork on a '41 Schwinn straight bar. The fork seems to be off about 1/8", but it makes quite a difference in going down the road.

Attachments

• DSC03494.jpg
    DSC03494.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC03495.jpg
    DSC03495.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSC03498.jpg
    DSC03498.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 234
I would say that the left leg has been pushed back slightly with the top level a shim will go under the right, but not the left (about 1/8" difference), the right seems to be aligned straight with the head tube.

Attachments

• DSC03500.jpg
    DSC03500.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC03502.jpg
    DSC03502.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 219
I would say that the left leg has been pushed back slightly with the top level a shim will go under the right, but not the left (about 1/8" difference), the right seems to be aligned straight with the head tube.

halfatruck ... I do not know how to proceed to straighten that left fork leg.
Thought these illustrations might motivate the authentic mechanics on The CABE
to share a valuable process. I have a fork with a similar malady.

....... patric

fork 001.jpg

Last edited:
I did finally get it straightened, I used 2 'C' clamps and 2 short 2X4's to clamp it to the front frame rail on my trailer..then used a long rod between the ends of the fork and twisted to straighten....worked fine.

I did finally get it straightened, I used 2 'C' clamps and 2 short 2X4's to clamp it to the front frame rail on my trailer..then used a long rod between the ends of the fork and twisted to straighten....worked fine.

It is the only way to fix the issue.

Back