When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bicycle Year...Can you guys please help me?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

hawkster19

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I purchased this Schwinn about 10 years ago for $25 at a garage sale along US 127 and have never really been able to nail down a production year or model for that matter. The serial is on the left dropout and it looks - LOOKS - as if there are only two numbers ("25") and that there never were any others. It would obviously be possible for them to be ground away but it truly looks as if there has always just been those two numbers. I know the serial number problems from 1948 and prior so is there a chance this is a late 1940's and there really are only two characters for the serial? Just conjecturing obviously but it truly looks as if this has always had just two numbers as a serial.

I do know some of the parts are perhaps not original to the bike (there is a blackout pedal on the left and a newer pedal on the right) and some parts were very neatly repainted before I bought it (namely the neck and bars for starters). I also added the head badge myself.

Any help would be truly appreciated and I can get other images if need be. Thanks!

DSC_0772.jpg

The serial number could be under the crank. The fork is not Schwinn.

Thanks, Scott.

And the serial number is not underneath the crank, BTW.

Last edited:
Rack is not Schwinn... like 40-41 Rollfast rack. Handel-bars are 28" or '>'. It's a poor mans rat-rod; kinda neat. The seat post clamp appears welded to seat tube as are 39-41 Schwinns; but, it does not have rear drop-outs...... has welded on kickstand [1946 & newer, as a rule].

With that badge screw spread/placement... it probably was badged as Schwinn [1960 and before]; usually, when badged for a seller... the verticle badge mounting holes were not that far apart.... or they were horizontal and even then closer together.

Schwinn had a quite a few mishaps with their serial number stampings but I've never seen one where only two numbers were stamped. I assume you removed the carrier brace and axle nut for a complete unobstructed inspection of the dropout. Do you have a good close up picture of the dropout that you can post? If there is no SN then there is no way to date the frame.

Why cut the ends of the fenders like that what the hell uuuggghhh. Way ugly for sure nice bike bad fenders

Back