When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Storage

-

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
If this has been discussed before I don,t remember it, there has been so much I have forgot anyway so someone refresh me here.
The Question is does hanging a heavy balloon tire bike for long term storage by the wheel eventually pull the rim outta round. Someone told me it eventually would. I don't think this is possible unless the spokes are already loose or damaged before hanging it up.
006.JPG

Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but have a couple thoughts/questions.
1. If it does eventually pull it out of round, I wonder how long it would take? I would think a really long time.
2. Could always rotate the wheel 180 degrees once a year. Make it an event, like an annual holiday. Could even have it become an official CABE holiday? Invite friends over for beer and pizza to celebrate/help out. Maybe tie it to your favorite swap meet so it's easy to remember?:)

It is not possible that hanging will make a rim go out of round.
That's what I think. If the spokes are as they should be, how could it pull out of shape. If in doubt, do as Classic Rider says.
And about batteries. The first thing I do when I get a bike is open up anything that could have batteries and remove them.
I don't keep any batteries in my bikes., never.
When riding if someone is in front of me I say, "On your right" or" on your left" I never ride at dark so lights are not ever used.
Ironically usually the first thing anyone does when looking at a vintage bike is say, while reaching for the horn button is , "Horn work?" I have seen too many bikes ruined because of a leaking battery.

Hanging a "boatload" of heavyweight ballooner's by the rim's will not make them go out of round, the worst that could happen if hanging in the basement, would be weakening your floor joist's and having the house come crashing down on your prized "collection"! (J. K.)

This concerned me so much that I took all my bikes down and put them on A frame stands. But now I'm worried that the rims will sag over time. So to cure this problem I found that consuming copious amounts of beer relieved any and all stress I was experiencing.
If you can't solve the cause, then eliminate the concern.[emoji12]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Back