When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bike Storage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you take a scientific (or obvious) approach to this, does a bike stored upright on the ground cause the rims to deform?

Nope. But it'll destroy the tires. So hanging it upside down (or right side up) would be better overall.

004.JPG

So.... Hung up some more bikes. Hung up all the fender braces behind the bikes. This time out in the garage. The dozen bikes down in the basement have been hung up for several years with no visible damage to the rims.That says a lot about the wheel's strength. We are talking about 55 to 65 lbs. of weight on one very small bearing point on one rim for a long time. Seems that everyone agrees here there will be no damage. Speaking of damage to our bicycles, here in the Midwest storage in an unheated damp garage during the winter means.......RUST. I have found that keeping them clean and wiping down the plated parts with the oil of your choice every fall eliminates the rust. This old Elgin has been out hanging in the garage for pushing 14 years and is no more rusty then the day it was hung up. I have had good luck storing bikes during the damp nasty months by parking them on plywood and keeping them covered ,not with plastic but with old blankets , or whatever.
What does these old bikes in during winter garage storage is a rush of warmer damp air hitting the ice cold metal .....instant condensation. Also anything that is setting on the damp concrete floor seems to get the worst of it in my garage.
Hang'em high and keep'em clean !
005.JPG

Speaking of keeping things clean....The wife came out while I was cooking some burgers the other night and as I was flippen the burgers she about flipped out herself when she seen the grill.......made me buy a new one! What nerve!

002.JPG

001.JPG

So , lots was done this weekend out in the old garage.
Built another bike stand, hung up some bikes, got a new grill and installed the "little windmill" that I scavenged several years ago. The wife is happy. I am happy.
006.JPG
007.JPG

Anyone have any ideas how to get black tire marks out of composite white floor tiles? My collection was evicted out of my basement into the poll building because of it. Seems nothing touches those stains which appear to be more a chemical reaction, short of abrasives which ruins the sheen of the tile. I read to never let a black wall tire lay against a white wall tire, the stain it causes in the white wall is permanent. Didn't think that would happen with waxed floor tile. All my bikes are now hanging like Tinkers. Can't see how hanging them will distort rims, at least metal ones.

Wax goes a long way in keeping chrome looking good in damp garages. A box fan on a timer is probably a good idea as well. Keeps the building temperature more stable during warm spikes during the day, the air circulating off the cold concrete. This is a must in poll buildings, moisture condensates on cold steel without it.

Last edited:
One word of caution on hanging a bike upside down on two hooks: Make sure the measurement between the hooks is the exact dimension of the bearing points between the two wheels. I will never , ever hang a big heavy ballooner in this way again. While hanging a big Schwinn in this fashion the front hook broke off while I was on a ladder trying to hook the rear wheel on the second hook that I was having a difficult time with. It was just a tiny bit of a stretch ............
The bike came instantly down , knocking me off a stepladder and clipping my son , who had handed the bike up to me , in the shoulder. The height of my hooks were 10 feet off the floor. Looks like Wes's Schwinn was about 8 feet up.
The bikes I have hanging in the basement of my house have been secured after hanging up with an additional length of rope around the rim tied to a 2x4 screwed to the floor joist in case one of these China made hooks decide to fail.

One word of caution on hanging a bike upside down on two hooks: Make sure the measurement between the hooks is the exact dimension of the bearing points between the two wheels. I will never , ever hang a big heavy ballooner in this way again. While hanging a big Schwinn in this fashion the front hook broke off while I was on a ladder trying to hook the rear wheel on the second hook that I was having a difficult time with. It was just a tiny bit of a stretch ............
The bike came instantly down , knocking me off a stepladder and clipping my son , who had handed the bike up to me , in the shoulder. The height of my hooks were 10 feet off the floor. Looks like Wes's Schwinn was about 8 feet up.
The bikes I have hanging in the basement of my house have been secured after hanging up with an additional length of rope around the rim tied to a 2x4 screwed to the floor joist in case one of these China made hooks decide to fail.

I know very well what ya mean.lol

Back