When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boulder Defiant.

-

cyclingday

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
I haven't ridden this bike in about 15 years, so I dug it out from the furthest reaches of the garage and took it on a fifteen mile decent of Grapevine Canyon in Anza Borrego Desert State Park.
I forgot how fun Mountain Biking is.
The bike may be a little behind the times, but so is the rider.
We had a blast!
3e1de9a7afa13a3ac49b57db77688b36-1.jpg
b683689759aa21980c77889885136e01-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I got on that bike I would probably forget how old I am and end up wrapped around a tree.
I'll stick to my antique sidewinder.

Nice bike, it deserves to be ridden. BTW your never to old to Mountain Bike.

I agree!
My dad turns 80 next month, and he rode his Fatback/Fatbike, while Charlie Kelly who is in his mid 60s now, was carving the sandy curves like a 26 year old riding the Repack.
Confidence is of the mind.
Although, the climb to the top, did have me questioning the durability of my 55 year old heart.
I just need to get out more often. Ha ha!
Fun is not the exclusive domain of the young.

Keep an eye out for cracks. My Defiant broke in two places.
broken_boulder_1.jpg

broken_boulder_2.jpg

broken_boulder_3.jpg

broken_boulder_4.jpg

My friend Charlie just mentioned seeing a couple of guys on Boulders. Was that you?

It was!
I was surprised to see another one on the ride. It was a titanium model which was pretty cool to see.
I rode mne, serial# 42 from about 1991 to 2000 extensively without any major mishaps, but I will keep an eye out for any cracks that might develop.
The ride we did was hosted by Charlie as a fund raiser for the Anza Borrego Desert State Park Foundation.
The weekend started out on Friday night with a book signing (Fat Tire Flyer)by Charlie Kelly, and a showing of the film Klunkerz by Billy Savage.
Then a ride down Grapevine Canyon on Saturday.
Jaquie Phalen was on the ride as well, so it was really quite a memorable day for an old pedal masher like me.

Back