When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bowden on Craigslist

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I know, right?!! Aircraft engine in the rear, three headlights, six tailpipes, four wheels... The similarities are almost endless! ;)

Well...not quite like that specifically. Look under the surface.

Both were inspired by aircraft design. The Spacelander did not hit the streets until 1960, but the design was first pitched to investors in 1946. The first design was all aluminum, with an unconventional driveshaft and hub dynamo drive train. That setup stored energy going downhill, which made going uphill easier. This costly and radical design was not well received by investors and the project got put away. The project was called "The Classic"

In the late 1950's, Ben Bowden decided to revive the project and build the bike out of fiberglass with a conventional drive train. The name was also changed to "Spacelander", reflecting the Space Race. The idea sold, somewhat, and 544 bikes were built before the company folded. The design was deemed fragile, expensive, and highly unusual. It was a tough sell to bike shops.

The Tucker's odd front end is about as odd the tank design on the Spacelander. The overall designs of both were unconventional, and while the publicity was nice, investors were reluctant to give either vehicle a chance. Both had style cues from aviation. The designers of both vehicles were determined to change their respective industries, and leave an ever lasting mark. Both companies folded within a year.

Would love to chat about it all day with you kiddo, but I should get back to work...

20170405_115318.jpg

:cool:

The bike was not listed yesterday in Columbus, but 10 min from me, Cleveland area. I see the Columbus add was flagged.
I did not talked, but change messages with the "owner". His number is not Columbus area, but west side Cleveland area.
As I said I saw the add when I was at the pool with my boy, I chat with the owner. When I got home the add disappeared.
I still have the add open on my phone, so I could download them. It is one more pic from bigger distance.

Back