When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Civilian Wartime Spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

frampton

Wore out three sets of tires already!
This came from an estate. Blackout bars, stem, sprocket, headset, front hub and Sturmey shifter. Serial starts with "J". 1945?

I think the rear wheel was added later.

Whatcha think?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SOLD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

453.JPG

454.JPG

455.JPG

456.JPG

457.JPG

459.JPG

4511.JPG

4513.JPG

4514.JPG

4510.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Scott,
I haven't ridden a Sturmey hub before this. It shifts well and first gear is a hill climber.

Wow! I had a 51 schwinn with this badge and I thought schwinn was the only one to use it. Thanks for the knowledge. Awesome.

I agree with the 1945 date. It's a really cool bike with that three speed. Some Sturmey Archer hubs have a date on them, although it may have been added later it still uses the earlier style shifter. Just curious if the hub has any dates on it.

The Spitfire badge is interesting. Looks like it's been on there awhile. Wonder if it was used by a certain retailer or distributer?

Either way it's a great bike as is.

That's a pretty early Sturmey AB set up and an unusual skiptooth set up. I would not be surprised if they were actually close to the date that bike was made. The black quadrant would be 1930s to WW2 era, and the black out pulley would be 1940s probably there. That AB looks pretty early as well with the black side and the PAF stamping. Looks like a period set up to me.

Fitting to have that hub on a Spitfire.

Back