When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning White Handle Bar Grips

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

OLDTIMER

Finally riding a big boys bike
My Schwinn American is equipped with a set of white chubby grips. They are in fair condition exhibiting normal wear and not neccesarily in too bad of a condition. It is one of those things that "teeters" between replacement or just leaving them alone.
One concern surrounding white (and probably any light colored grip) is their accumulation of dirt and spots. In addition, normal age and exposure seems to discolor or "yellow" them.
I am interested in knowing if anybody has had any experience with any chemical cleaning solvents or processes which remove dirt/grease/discoloring from these white grips. I am O.K. with some normal discoloring as it adds to the "patina" of an aged, original bike.
I was thinking of Westly's Bleech-White tire cleaner which works great on removing road grease, dirt, etc. I know this is aimed at a vehicle tire more than a
vinyl product like a handle bar grip.
Anybody out there use a successful cleaning product that will achieve this type of success???
Thanks,

My Schwinn American is equipped with a set of white chubby grips. They are in fair condition exhibiting normal wear and not neccesarily in too bad of a condition. It is one of those things that "teeters" between replacement or just leaving them alone.
One concern surrounding white (and probably any light colored grip) is their accumulation of dirt and spots. In addition, normal age and exposure seems to discolor or "yellow" them.
I am interested in knowing if anybody has had any experience with any chemical cleaning solvents or processes which remove dirt/grease/discoloring from these white grips. I am O.K. with some normal discoloring as it adds to the "patina" of an aged, original bike.
I was thinking of Westly's Bleech-White tire cleaner which works great on removing road grease, dirt, etc. I know this is aimed at a vehicle tire more than a
vinyl product like a handle bar grip.
Anybody out there use a successful cleaning product that will achieve this type of success???
Thanks,

Use the Westly,s Bleech-White

Or Simple Green.. I was surprised when the maker of the whitewalls i have on my car told me to use that instead of the Bleche-White. He claimed the Westley's wasn't good for the rubber in the long run. Might be good to consider for grips that see a lot of skin oils etc. as well

i use a little bleack and the pink dawn dish washing soap liquid
does a great job some times i brush with a brissled brush lihe thehave at hospital for fingernails

I soak them in a 50/50 water Clorox bleach mix. Not an overnight process but it does work. Check out pics. They will start to go back after a while. Second pic is after 2 weeks, third is after 4.

Starting.jpg

After 2 weeks.jpg

Ater 4 weeks.jpg

They will never be bright white again. I get my best results with Bleech-white and a brass wire tire brush. Be careful with the brush or you will take too much off.

I've used carb cleaner. Spray them down and wipe them while it's still wet. Softens 'em up, too.

I've had good results with Soft Scrub then soak in kitchen cleaner w/ bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back