When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colson Commander Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Also

...I'm also drooling. Totally unique bike with tons of model specific parts. Very special indeed. Best of the best and incredibly individual. Even if that did make it less successful it stand alone and I respect that more because it's sort of brave and risky in a world of tank bikes.

I want one!

Scott and I were talking last night about the eery similarities between the Commander and the CCM Flyte, look at the rear of the frame, its almost identical.I believe the Flyte and Commander were both new for 1936, the Colson plant Aleyria Ohio and the CCM plant in Weston Ontario Canada were within a few hundred miles of each other.......could someone have copied the other? Interesting to think about and definitely not taking anything away from the Commander, its still unique and beautiful !

Attachments

• CCM FLITE.jpg
    CCM FLITE.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 425
High price during depression and 36 CW Roadmaster battery tray

The battery compartment is also amazingly smart and cool. again unlike anything else from any other manufacturer.

Pretty sure the 36 CW bike with the "aristocrat" style tank had a similar battery tray.

Most deluxe bikes in the 30s were low production as the depression was in full swing. Look at og schoolyard photos -pre war NO tanks to be seen- post war- lots of tanks....Schwinn pedaled backwards after the Aerocycle- innovative design is not necessarily appreciated at its introduction...

Scott thank for initiating this thread, but it will be a several weeks before my '36 Commander will be here and ready to post after detailing and upgrading chrome.

One bicycle I like to post is one from brwstrmgmt "basement dwellers" gallery page as it has the black/ivory color scheme I have only seen once (it is in the foreground ;)).
commander bd.jpg

As to the rarity of the Commander series:
After searching ebay and CL for "Colson" one is likely to find relatively very few hits, mostly tricycles and after years of looking, it is hard not to come to the conclusion that Colson was a small shop operation producing less than it's contemporaries.
I would only consider the ribbed rainbow tank series "common" for its numerous years in prewar production and the fact that it was a base model for Firestone.

Also, distribution was also probably low as well and I do not believe the Firestone contract was inked in '36 for the Commander to have an appearance, so probably few outlets for sale.

Typically, to be truly "rare" there has to be low production, a short run as a single season, but also sales and survivability.
It would not surprise me if the '36 Commander was a sales flop being radically different from the norm, but also it was mentioned that these were $90 in another thread which seems to be a whopper of a price...maybe the cost of having to hire industrial designer Wilbur Henry Adams.

So this bicycle is truly rare by at least my definition, but probably for many reasons in supply/demand we are left to speculate.

Chris

commander bd.jpg

Last edited:
Measurments

Does anyone know what size OD tubing was used for the frame and does anyone have any dimensions on the bike? Some say it was built for adults as opposed to being a boys bike as were the later built ballooners.

Does anyone know what size OD tubing was used for the frame and does anyone have any dimensions on the bike? Some say it was built for adults as opposed to being a boys bike as were the later built ballooners.

The specs on page one of this thread that 37fleetwood provided has the frame at 20" which I would consider on the larger size comparably speaking.
One thing is for sure though...you have to "man up" to own one.
Chris

Scott thank for initiating this thread, but it will be a several weeks before my '36 Commander will be here and ready to post after detailing and upgrading chrome.

One bicycle I like to post is one from brwstrmgmt "basement dwellers" gallery page as it has the black/ivory color scheme I have only seen once (it is in the foreground ;)).
View attachment 91144

Chris

Is the bike next to it (second one in) the same model but incomplete/without the head shroud piece and with added truss rods? It has the same incredible stem. Gotta love those stems they are amazing. I saw one on a twin cushion once - they are impressive.

Back