When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Combined Coaster/Open Invitation Nashville Ride

-
I'll go with what the majority thinks is good but I have a coupe of reservations about the proposed start point/route. First is I'm not sure there is free parking and secondly if its under the bridge I don't feel real good about leaving my truck there. I've walked over the pedestrian bridge to the stadium and my recollection is that it is all private property. Secondly I don't think riding to Antique Archaeology is a good move. There are no bike lanes and these are fairly busy roads through downtown. I have done some research and propose that we meet/park at Ted Rhodes golf course on the northwest part of town. The Greenway follows the river for about 7 1/2 miles to downtown right at the bottom of Broadway where there are a number of restaurants to include Hard rock, Acme Feed and Seed, Joe's Crab Shack, etc... . After lunch we could ride back and then for those that want to we could drive to AA. If that is too far for some of you we could find another parking place along the Greenway to start to shorten the ride.

I know Rob already did the flyer but I think since most of us are traveling a good ways we really need to make this bike friendly and a good time. I really don't feel like driving seven hours to ride three miles! Just my thoughts. It would be really great for some of you that use social media to maybe hit the road bike types in the area and get their thoughts as well. I will be in Nashville in a couple of weeks and am going to try and do a recon but it will be really tight for me. Anyone else semi local want to check it out? Might also want to start looking at the eating establishments--preferably something with either outside seating or at least where we have a view of the bikes-- I might bring a nice bike and would hate to have something like what just happened at the CC ride. V/r Shawn

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Parks/images/greenways/CR%20Downtown.jpg

http://chucksadventures.blogspot.com/2016/05/biking-nashvilles-cumberland-river.html

Ok, I can probably have Mark edit the flyer if the destination changes. Although I don't want to have to change too much, we'll have to get with Don on this too. Let me know.

I agree riding bikes to AA through the city might be a bit sketchy. I think a greenway is probably a safer more scenic path. We need boots on the ground for a recon mission! Hopefully, Shawn will be successful! If not, is anyone near the original proposed meeting spot who can check it out?

Greenway is always best IMO. If you guys find a new start and stopping points let me know. As far as riding into AA, we can scrap that for now.

I was thinking about driving down for this, but am feeling a little apprehensive about bringing one of my nice original bikes, and leaving my truck in a bad location. I was also wondering if there was any plan in place if someones bike broke down. I know it's just a bicycle and most things can be fixed on the fly, but it would be good to have a truck flowing the route to pick up anyone that needed a lift. When I go on vintage motorcycle runs with the AMCA, they always have at least one truck an a trailer to pick up bikes that brake down. That way the rest of the pack and keep on riding.

Just a thought. Catfish

I'll go with what the majority thinks is good but I have a coupe of reservations about the proposed start point/route. First is I'm not sure there is free parking and secondly if its under the bridge I don't feel real good about leaving my truck there. I've walked over the pedestrian bridge to the stadium and my recollection is that it is all private property. Secondly I don't think riding to Antique Archaeology is a good move. There are no bike lanes and these are fairly busy roads through downtown. I have done some research and propose that we meet/park at Ted Rhodes golf course on the northwest part of town. The Greenway follows the river for about 7 1/2 miles to downtown right at the bottom of Broadway where there are a number of restaurants to include Hard rock, Acme Feed and Seed, Joe's Crab Shack, etc... . After lunch we could ride back and then for those that want to we could drive to AA. If that is too far for some of you we could find another parking place along the Greenway to start to shorten the ride.

I know Rob already did the flyer but I think since most of us are traveling a good ways we really need to make this bike friendly and a good time. I really don't feel like driving seven hours to ride three miles! Just my thoughts. It would be really great for some of you that use social media to maybe hit the road bike types in the area and get their thoughts as well. I will be in Nashville in a couple of weeks and am going to try and do a recon but it will be really tight for me. Anyone else semi local want to check it out? Might also want to start looking at the eating establishments--preferably something with either outside seating or at least where we have a view of the bikes-- I might bring a nice bike and would hate to have something like what just happened at the CC ride. V/r Shawn

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/Parks/images/greenways/CR%20Downtown.jpg

http://chucksadventures.blogspot.com/2016/05/biking-nashvilles-cumberland-river.html

I was thinking about driving down for this, but am feeling a little apprehensive about bringing one of my nice original bikes, and leaving my truck in a bad location. I was also wondering if there was any plan in place if someones bike broke down. I know it's just a bicycle and most things can be fixed on the fly, but it would be good to have a truck flowing the route to pick up anyone that needed a lift. When I go on vintage motorcycle runs with the AMCA, they always have at least one truck an a trailer to pick up bikes that brake down. That way the rest of the pack and keep on riding.

Just a thought. Catfish
Good idea, maybe we can figure something out. Would be great to have you there Ed!

I really don't feel like driving seven hours to ride three miles!

+1. I'll go with the flow but I agree, thats a really short bike ride in relation to travel time for me.

Most group rides I've done these things just work them selfs out. Some people want to ride more, some people want to socialize more. A successful ride in my book are the ones with firm meeting places and a uniform start time so everyone knows the plan.

As far as route planning goes, this is a pretty useful tool. It's great for cross referencing maps to where people actually ride bikes.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#4/-100.13430/34.60409/blue/bike

I'm not 100% committed so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I believe we will have it nailed down by the middle of next month after I return from Nashville. I believe the country club parking lot should be pretty decent and as far as 'chase' vehicles I've never seen any problems on a ride we couldn't overcome. I just want to see if most are good for what will be a 14+ mile ride? I know most of us 'regulars' have no problem and I believe the route is fairly flat. I think the biggest challenge is finding a place that is good for everyone to eat at downtown. If anyone want to post their preference here we could get an idea of what the best place might be. V/r Shawn

Everything's gonna work out fine! I can only speak for our group in saying that we are good with a nice lengthy ride. Like someone else stated, with the amount of distance traveled we absolutely need a longer ride. As far as a restaurant, we can probably find something with an outdoor accomidation so we can keep an eye on bikes.

Back