When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Corbin & New Departure Hub Dating Project - Need everyone's help pre-1933

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
1913 NOS New Departure Model A

NOTE: Both the 1908 and 1913 Model A's have oil ports.

New_Departure_Bicycle_1-1.jpg

JUST FOR FUN!!!!!!! New Departure advertising items

As everybody knows by now I am fascinated by early advertising items. Here's a format New Departure used on both a postcard & a calendar in 1910......

1751_jpg-1.jpg

New_Departure_Bicycle_21-1.jpg

MORE JUST FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!: 2 early New Departure pins

Two early New Departure pins from old Copake auctions. These are circa 1901.

14870912-1.jpg

From the 1901 Pan American Exposition held in Buffalo, NY.

9768_1806_21D1FEAHY-1.jpg

Last edited:
Talking about the Mod A and M got me wondering if there are variations in the Model C.

Here are 2 variations of the New Departure Model C, hub on bike has a machined fit, internal cap end, this looks like an earlier hub, it's shown on the link you posted early in the thread to a 1927 Mod C catalog.

The loose wheel picture is from a 1933 bicycle, regular dust cup end. Both hubs are in nickle and have the oil port with dust cap.

Question followers:
Did the Model C change during it's production run (when), or did 2 versions run simultaneously ?

I have the 2 Model C versions as well not yet spoked. I'll try to take side by side pics for comparison this weekend.

Friday night FUN!!!!!!!!

For your amusement & viewing pleasure this Friday night, we have another circa 1905 to 1910 New Departure Coaster Brake postcard. What a different time, notice the lit cigarette hanging out of this "gay young spark"s mouth on a cartoon postcard.

1752_jpg-1.jpg

New Departure Controller Pat'd patent no. 645,133

I believe this is the New Departure Controller Pat'd patent. It is from the appropriate timeframe and is the only patent I can find with the brake arm on the right drive side. It is also the first patent I can find with a brake arm. Note the short, close to frame brake arm exactly like the pics in Post # 67. There were two earlier "Back Pedaling Brake" patents filed by inventor R.S. Anderson on behalf of the New Departure Bell Company. Neither of these have coaster brake arms. (They are patents # 625,732 filed 1/29/1887 patented 5/30/1899 and # 635,414 filed 5/20/1897 patented 10/24/1899)

Patent no. 645,133 was filed with the U.S. Patent Office on July 22nd, 1898 and patented March 13th, 1900. Patent attributed to Albert F. Rockwell, owner of the New Departure Bell Co. Patents would be after it's use which I believe would be limited to 1898 before Albert Rockwell & the New Departure Bell Company contracted with P.&F. Corbin to make the "THE NEW DEPARTURE COASTER BRAKE & HUB, PATENTED, MF'D BY P&F CORBIN" aka "New Departure Automatic Coaster & Brake" in catalog manufactured from 1898 to 1900 (The First True Coaster Brake Hub; designed by Harry Pond Townsend for New Departure Bell Co., mf'd by Corbin, sold by both).

Patent no. 645,133 is shown as a "Back Pedaling Brake".

645133_1-1.jpg

645133_2-1.jpg

645133_3-1.jpg

New Departure Model A patents

I believe this is one of the New Departure Model A patents, it is the only one I can find in Google Patents related to the Model A. You can see the new design coaster brake arm with the fact it doesn't cover the whole left side of the hub & this is the first concave hub shell.

LUBRICATING DEVICE FOR VEHICLE HUBS
Albert Fenimore Rockwell, of Bristol, Conn.
Patent No. 745,525
Filed October 6, 1902
Patented December 1, 1903

745525_1-1.jpg

745525_2-1.jpg

Back