When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist Find

-
I agree with Shawn-- I think that's at the top end, even for a nice bike. But if the bike fits you, and it's really what you want, then do it. I don't think the price is unreasonable on the face of it, but it is at the top end for that bike.

Where are you in central Illinois? Do you ever get to the chicago area?
I'm in Galesburg. We get to Chicago 3-4 times a year. We have friends in the city, as well as some that live in Oak Forest. We have talked about going up and riding the CalSag Trail around Lake Katherine.

I decided to pass on it. I like the 75 Speedster I have now, but want to get something that is a little easier to pedal up those hills. I found an old Suburban 5 speed for $25. The real wheel and derailer look ok. Hoping I can convert my Speedster to a 5 speed with parts off the Suburban.
00303_8wdxLUYerze_1200x900.jpg

I decided to pass on it. I like the 75 Speedster I have now, but want to get something that is a little easier to pedal up those hills. I found an old Suburban 5 speed for $25. The real wheel and derailer look ok. Hoping I can convert my Speedster to a 5 speed with parts off the Suburban.

Although I've always been an admirer of Schwinn bikes since a young kid. By the mid 70's after riding Schwinn 10 speeds for years too, I came to my senses as Schwinn products got made cheaper and failed to meet my desires for better distance, convenience and lighter, faster products. Today, I wouldn't touch a Schwinn lightweight with a few exceptions, Paramount or similar 60's super sports etc. Not a chance in hell a collagegate for the money because for what you're looking for, " little easier to pedal up those hills"

I picked this race red baby up for 35 bucks, A whole 19 pounds, as FAST as a bullet! and below it, not as fast, but easy riding for a mere $55. Plus I could flip both of them easy too. the race red prob $200 bucks and the next, an easy 600-700. AND!, I'm NOT flipping these two bikes, I'm loving em every single day, whenever I'm on em.

I.E. get your self an pre 1986 TREK for the best deal you can find and or less than that heavy butt clunker, $150, while you can. A little patience and searching C/L, you'll find em.

And you'll get up those hills quick, easy, plus have a bike well worth $$ it's weight. [wink]

1985 Trek 460:

PA030397.JPG

1982 Trek 728:

82-Trek-728-Taupe-Brown.jpg

I'm not saying you'll get em as cheap as I did, but for your $150, you'll do the job.

Last edited:
00303_8wdxLUYerze_1200x900.jpg
Here, ill actually post something useful.

That girls suburban was a score and looks pretty nice. Id use it as practice and clean up and flip it to help fund your actual five speed bike. If im not mistaken I think the drop out spacing for a 5 speed hub and a 3 speed hub are different and may cause you some headache when trying to convert that 3 speed over. You also wont have any accommodations for cable routing for the shifer cables on your 3 speed frame. You would be better off finding a complete 5 speed and cleaning that up, as I think a conversion is more work and headache than your assuming it is. Then you can keep or sell your 3 speed if you wish, if your happy with your new bike. That, or you can buy some ugly drab 80s Trek bike with no character ;) and be done with it apparently[emoji57]

728e6c14ba806bc63a679b6c16b9ba69.jpg
61d21e28e150c6576760241415e03b0b.jpg
876751d8b7d54f0e1ab83fb8115431ab.jpg
1ed6307e614a0bd4b26eb04340b3b43e.jpg
f753ef4469c190f87bbe98e51af4fa19.jpg

Last edited:
Here, ill actually post something useful.

That girls suburban was a score and looks pretty nice. i.d. use it as practice and clean up and flip it to help fund your actual five speed bike. If im not mistaken I think the drop out spacing for a 5 speed hub and a 3 speed hub are different and may cause you some headache when trying to convert that 3 speed over. You also wont have any accommodations for cable routing for the shifer cables on your 3 speed frame. You would be better off finding a complete 5 speed and cleaning that up, as I think a conversion is more work and headache than your assuming it is. Then you can keep or sell your 3 speed if you wish, if your happy with your new bike. That, or you can buy some ugly drab 80s Trek bike with no character ;) and be done with it apparently[emoji57]

You are probably right about that. I don't have the Suburban in hand yet, that is the craigslist photo. Going to go pick it up Saturday. If it is as good as it looks, I could probably just clean and service it and flip it for a $125 and make some money to put towards a nice Collegiate 5 speed. You don't want to sell that gold one, do you? And I could also sell the Speedster for $150-$200 dollars as well. The problem is that I really love my speedster, love the color, and the paint is almost perfect, except for one small spot on the chain guard. I spent about 4 hours last week polishing all of the chrome, and it just looks sweet. My fat ass is just too old to get up any big hills with that 3 speed. No law says I can't have two bikes, right? keep the 3 speed for short cruises, and ride the 5 speed for everything else.

You are probably right about that. I don't have the Suburban in hand yet, that is the craigslist photo. Going to go pick it up Saturday. If it is as good as it looks, I could probably just clean and service it and flip it for a $125 and make some money to put towards a nice Collegiate 5 speed. You don't want to sell that gold one, do you? And I could also sell the Speedster for $150-$200 dollars as well. The problem is that I really love my speedster, love the color, and the paint is almost perfect, except for one small spot on the chain guard. I spent about 4 hours last week polishing all of the chrome, and it just looks sweet. My fat ass is just too old to get up any big hills with that 3 speed. No law says I can't have two bikes, right? keep the 3 speed for short cruises, and ride the 5 speed for everything else.

I actually sold that Coppertone (gold) one last year for $350 locally. Did you consider a larger rear cog on your Speedster as I mentioned in your previous post? Definitely no laws around here about having two, five, or twenty-five bikes for that matter. Good luck on your hunt and happy cycling.

Although I've always been an admirer of Schwinn bikes since a young kid. By the mid 70's after riding Schwinn 10 speeds for years too, I came to my senses as Schwinn products got made cheaper and failed to meet my desires for better distance, convenience and lighter, faster products. Today, I wouldn't touch a Schwinn lightweight with a few exceptions, Paramount or similar 60's super sports etc. Not a chance in hell a collagegate for the money because for what you're looking for, " little easier to pedal up those hills"

I picked this race red baby up for 35 bucks, A whole 19 pounds, as FAST as a bullet! and below it, not as fast, but easy riding for a mere $55. Plus I could flip both of them easy too. the race red prob $200 bucks and the next, an easy 600-700. AND!, I'm NOT flipping these two bikes, I'm loving em every single day, whenever I'm on em.

I.E. get your self an pre 1986 TREK for the best deal you can find and or less than that heavy butt clunker, $150, while you can. A little patience and searching C/L, you'll find em.

And you'll get up those hills quick, easy, plus have a bike well worth $$ it's weight. [wink]

1985 Trek 460:

View attachment 348774

1982 Trek 728:

View attachment 348775

I'm not saying you'll get em as cheap as I did, but for your $150, you'll do the job.
Booo hissss

Booo hissss

{grin} but no worries, I don't race em just ride. Trek's integrated seat post, specifically: SR's P5E Laprade Type. Forged Alloy. mount right up to the rails on Chinese made, 'lightweight or cheap', 'comfort' seats:

[wink]

P8110735.JPG

Last edited:
Back