When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cycleplane Or Motorbike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Greg M.

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello.
I've heard mixed things on this issue but my research shows that starting in 1936 the Cycleplanes had a standard six hole rack, not the Aerocycle round rack found on earlier Cycleplanes. Look at the page scans of my 1936 catalog showing the Cycleplane De Luxe, model BA407 with the standard 6 hole rack. It also mentions that the only difference between the Cycleplane and the Motorbike is the fore wheel brake and the larger Stimsonite rear reflector, both of which my bike has always had.
I know the pictures shown in the catalogs are a bit off at times, but it seems like they would have mentioned the different rear rack also in this ad.
Just trying to nail this down as I believe my bike is a Cycleplane De Luxe and not a Motorbike De Luxe.
Your thoughts and comments are welcome and invited.
Thank you.

Greg M.

Cycleplane 001.jpg

Motorbike ad 001.jpg

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2312.JPG

None of those scans are 1936 and neither is your bike. Without a serial number I would guess your bike is either a '37 or early '38. The forebrake and gilled motorbike tank weren't introduced until 1937.

Thanks guys.
I'm aware my bike is a 1937. That wasn't the question. ( I was just using a page out of what I thought was a 1936 catalog, but it looks to be '37! )
I am just trying to confirm that my 1937 is a Cycleplane and not just a Motorbike. ( based on the information in the above catalog )
Thanks again.

Greg M.

motorbike after 36. cycle plane,1935,36 only. straight down tube is a cycle plane. you could have the large auto cycle reflector added to your bike,rather than the smaller 1 3/4" reflector. 6 hole racks were introduced for the '37 motorbikes,aerocycle racks went to the bc,and c model schwinns exclusively.

Keith, thanks for your input.
The catalog picture above appears to be a '37 based on the chainguard and the finned tank as others point out and that ad mentions that model is a Cycleplane with the forebrake and the large Stimsonite rear reflector. ( and the Cycleplane in that picture has a curved downtube )
Not trying to cause a "big to do" , just trying to confirm that my '37 is a Cycleplane.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg, look on the back of the catalog should be an ad for the new angled fork lock. that would be a 37' catalog

Thanks Brian.
Here is the back cover of the catalog I'm referencing. I showed you this catalog shortly after getting it.
It shows the lock straight back which I know is 1936 which is what led me to think the catalog was a 1936.
It's a good day cause I'm learning some new stuff.
Thanks everybody! Hope you all have a good day too.

Greg M.

Catalog back cover 001.jpg

Back