When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Determing year of manufacture for Super Sport

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BlackRockJohhny

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello!

I just bought a Schwinn Super Sport with serial number A731555.
I can't seem to find any website that can tell me what the year of manufacture is for this bike, and whether or not it was Chicago-built, given the serial number.

From the looking around the web, it seems it might indicate that it was made in January (the "A") in either 1987 or 1997 (the "7"), but I would guess 1987.

Any help will be appreciated!

super_sport.jpg

If it's an 87 I would think the build date would be stamped in the head badge, but I'm not privy to the later Schwinns. Looks like a 1988 paint scheme.

Please post a picture of the "drive side" of the bike as well as a close-up pic of the 4-digit number stamped in the headbadge, that will indicate the day the bike was built. So far it appears to be an '87 model.

I think it's the second paint scheme for '87.
The first scheme was pink(Schwinn called it Magenta) & white. I think it proved to be unpopular so they changed it to the red & white scheme of your bike.
Here is my heavily modified early '87.

DSCN2892.JPG

Last edited:
Since your serial number suggests January, perhaps it was an alternate paint scheme that didn't make it into the catalog for some reason, and not a later scheme as I have been thinking.

Thanks, everyone. Metacortex: Unfortunately, I don't have a drive side pic (this pic came from a craigslist ad).
However, I do see the numbers 2107 on the headbadge. So, maybe that means the 210th day of 1987?

Back