When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Buy A Phantom?

-

Alienbaby17

Finally riding a big boys bike
A friend of mine is retired and makes some extra cash doing a bit of 'picking' in his free time. He mostly deals in old hot rod parts but picks up the occasional old bicycle from time to time. He got a hold of me on Sunday to ask me about this one he had just purchased at a flea market.

I looked it over and told him that at first glance it obviously has been repainted, and has mostly incorrect parts for a 1953 Schwinn. I gave him my opinion that even with all of those factors working against it, it still is a complete bike and has some desirable parts on it (springer fork and frame, skip tooth crank, sprocket and chain, S2 wheel set, etc.)

He decided it was too much of a project for him and sold it to me today.

After looking up the serial number and finding it was indeed a 1953 I began to wonder what model it was. After going through the 1953 catalog it looks like the Phantom model is the only one that came with a springer of this style and had a frame like this. So now I'm thinking it might be a Phantom- just missing all of the good parts and with most of the wrong parts installed in their place.

Thoughts from the experts?

Thanks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My good guess is that was not a Phantom. Most all the balloon models could have had a springer. That chain ring, painted rims, stem or those bars were never used on a Phantom. Some of the 1953 serial numbers were used in other years, even 1952, so there could be a question on the model year. The Meteor and the Leader along with a few other models could have been ordered from the factory with a springer. Exposing the original paint scheme will help in identifying what model it was.

That stand has me wondering. Where is the serial number located and what is the number?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

I thought that maybe other models could possibly be ordered with a springer but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ok, so at this point I'm inclined to believe that the crank, sprocket and wheel set along with the frame and fork are probably the only original parts on it. That's fine.

I also think it makes sense that it is a Meteor or Leader model.

The serial number is H91736. Location was by the rear wheel dropouts.

I'm excited to strip some of the paint off and see if any of the the original finish is underneath.

Thanks for all of your help.

All righty then. So the prefix letter is an H and then five digits. To me the kickstand appears to be tapered so that indicates a 1946 model. Then the stem might be original also.

So is the stand tapered?

1946 series Hxxxxx Ixxxxx Jxxxxx A0xxxx (small type face) Bxxxxx
Cxxxxx (low number)

Edit:
I woke up this mornin' with the sundown shinin' in
I found my mind in a brown paper bag within
I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high
I tore my mind on a jagged sky
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in :p

Last edited:
Back