When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DX Project 2 Before and After

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eric

Finally riding a big boys bike
So I bought 2 47 DXs badged American Flyer and they were the worst condition bikes I have ever encountered. When they showed up I was not sure I could get them running again. There were many broken spokes or spokes would break if you touched them, all the pedals were completely frozen, most of the hardware was rusted beyond saving and the wheels would not roll.

I reused every part I could unless it was destroyed and unusable. I was able to reuse every hub, BB, headset and pedal. The only parts I added to the project was 1 seat, hardware, grips, tires/tubes and spokes, everything else was saved. I did use the fenders and rack on this one because they seemed to be the factory parts. I also donated the seat off this bike to the other DX project.

Here is the second one. I will add the sequential photos that show progress along the way later.

Before

852220970_o.jpg

After

20160101_150902.jpg

Here are some more shots of this bike going from rust and crust to a rideable bike again.

001.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

011.jpg

Wow, you are a brave man to have taken that on. Nice work! I'm curious what you used to remove the rust without harming the paint?

Back