When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

English 3 Speed 40 Rear, 32 Front, Modern Rim Help?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Eatontkd

Finally riding a big boys bike
Greetings~ I have a '53 Rudge whose original rims are no longer rideable. Can anyone offer some direction to aluminum rims that would work with the original Raleigh-type 3-Speed 40 spoke hub rear and 32 spoke front hub? Thanks much, Doug

Will these work without drilling out the hubs to make the spokes fit?
Well they are awesome hoops that come in 32 and 40 hole options...I am unsure why you would have to drill anything?

Chukker_1_322_450.png

I had a Raleigh with a 40H rear hub that I swapped shell for a 36H and rebuilt the wheels from there.

Might want to check out Velocity. I have seen 40H rims from them. Maybe even give them a call.

You have to decide if you want to go vintage or go modern with these rims. You can find replacement rims on e-bay, usually Endrick pattern ones. Sometimes a Westrick set comes up for fair money. This is a direct swap for just a better condition set of vintage rims. I really like old, steel Westrick rims, so I hold out for a set and scout eBay for them.

If you want to go modern, the best choice is the Sun CR 18. The Chukker is a blade cross section rim and will look more out of place. The Sun CR-18 is the better choice, and is the most common modern replacement rim for the Raleigh/Rudge Sports (ISO 590) 32-40 wheels. They are aluminum and somewhat thinner in profile than a Westrick pattern rim. They are much lighter and brake better, but they do look a bit more modern than the originals do.

They drill those Sun rims in 32-36-40 (590 mm ISO).

https://www.amazon.com/CR-18-40-hole-Polished-fits-EA-3/dp/B001CJVGOM

https://www.amazon.com/SunRingle-CR-18-32-hole-Polished-fits/dp/B001CJXBHC

Just be warned that the CR-18s are tough for mounting tires. You'll need good levers to get over the sidewalls. But many people who want modern rims love them.

Last edited:
I would like to know why you feel those low end pinned Sun rims are better than velocity's offerings in 40 hole....other than your opinion of appearance.

Last edited:
The rims you cited are 700c, and not the stock 650A (26 x 1-3/8 EA3). 700c wheels can be used on a bike like this, but need replacement, short-reach calipers and very likely removing the fenders, unless he opts for undersized, 28-32mm tires. A standard tire today is in the 35-40mm range for these. Some people don't want to do that.

At the relatively modest spoke tensions for these wheels, a decent pinned rim like the CR 18 is fine and offers no real loss compared to a welded rim. These are relatively low-tension wheels on vintage bikes that most people ride on the road rather than in high-impact uses. Pinned rims are a liability in off-road riding where debris can split the rim joint, but I doubt he is doing that with a 60+ year old Rudge 3 speed. He's paying an awful lot more for rims where the return on that extra money is of marginal use.

Ahh, okay, good response, thank you. I am unaware of the OPs riding style, but these would be far more durable and appropriately sized, if cost is a factor, perhaps not the best choice. http://www.wheelbuilder.com/velocity-650c-deep-v-clincher-rim.html I dunno if they make something similar in 40 hole though. Hard to find smaller width rims in large hole count... No one plans on crashing a curb or other stuff....but if rode modestly I can see the value in those. I admit I am a bit into overkill.....

Last edited:
Back