When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evapo Rust. Actually Works.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Dave you are right about Oxalic Acid being harmful! Thank you for posting this. It is a weird chemical to use. I have looked up precautions on it. It says never to get it on your skin as it will be absorbed and can cause problems. [kinda vague on the problem part]
What I have noticed is that when I mix it up there it does give off very light fumes. I mix it in a 5 gallon bucket in side the house. I set the bucket in the laundry tub and fill with only hot water. I have used this stuff with cold water but the hotter the water the quicker and better results. While mixing it there is a slight odor and ever so light burning feeling in my eyes as I am in a confined space indoors. Then I carry it out side and dump into a pool to soak the stuff I wish to de-rust.
Every time I have used this stuff for the next 3 days after I have noticed I am a little short of breath.:(

It goes away but has happened and can not be a coincidence.This stuff is no where near acids like muriatic, acid magic or wire wheel cleaner but still is harmful and a mask should be used when mixing it and Never use indoors.:([had a leak..... gallons of O X on the basement floor]
Fellow Caber "Chitown" has used Lime Juice with great success.
I do want to add that I do have asthma and take an inhaler. I have never smoked but have been in the building trades my entire life and have had my fill of breathing dust and now am affected by breathing any of it immediately.
I can't remember the exact circumstance but he acquired a large amount of the stuff and tried it. It worked so well he now will only use the lime juice. I have seen the results for myself and think it is as good as and certainly safer then oxalic acid.
This oxalic acid appears harmless but it is corrosive stuff and care should be used when handling and using it.

Last edited:
Here's the citric acid that I buy. I think it's like $12.
tmp_30750-0806160847-768x13651948552060.jpg

Here's the citric acid that I buy. I think it's like $12.View attachment 348728
Good to make ricotta with....
1 gallon whole milk
1/2 gallon heavy cream
25 grams salt
25 grams sugar
19 grams citric acid
Bring cream, milk, salt and sugar to a light boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute. Wisk in citric acid. Let stand 15 minutes then strain through cheese cloth that's been folded over 3 times. Let drain over night. For dry ricotta replace cream with half and half.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I could not find the citric acid for $12 (Amazon cheapest at around $16) but I'm going to give it a try. I use a teaspoon of OA for about 5 gallons of water, what is the mix ratio for CA? Does it turn dark as it gets used?

After playing around with various concentration I've settled into a 3-4% solution... with warm water. I think the results are a bit faster if the water is warm...or it might just be my imagination. I live in Arizona so I can actually maintain my temp by placing the dwell container in the sun as long as I add water back as it evaporates. I should add the fact that citric acid works perfectly fine at room temp too. It does darken as it exhausts and I am a big believer in removing the parts from the solution every now and again to "clean up" the surface of the parts...again...this might just be a stupid OCD thing of mine that contributes nothing positive to the process....oh yea almost forgot... beer.

1 gallon whole milk
1/2 gallon heavy cream
25 grams salt
25 grams sugar
19 grams citric acid
Bring cream, milk, salt and sugar to a light boil. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 minute. Wisk in citric acid. Let stand 15 minutes then strain through cheese cloth that's been folded over 3 times. Let drain over night. For dry ricotta replace cream with half and half.

Ha! Great crossover utility!

The ricotta with oxalic instead of citric acid tasted funny... They do not interchange in that respect.

1 gallon whole milk
1/2 gallon heavy cream
25 grams salt
25 grams sugar
19 grams citric acid

Then I carry it out side and dump into a pool to soak the stuff I wish to de-rust. Every time I have used this stuff for the next 3 days after I have noticed I am a little short of breath.:(

Vince had the same problem, but we discovered it was because he was too cheap to buy his own pool and was using some little kids pool 8 blocks away. Could this be your problem too?

That's funny Dave. Seriously though, I have had the same breathing problems after using spray type shower tile cleaner.
I just want to advise the folks here on the Cabe that Oxalic Acid irritates the lungs when mixed with hot water and some may have a reaction to it. Those with existing lung problems may find themselves out of breath after using it. I would only use it outside.

Now as far as buying a pool that is not on my list as I fill the kid's pool next door .I only have to walk a few feet.
They are little brats so I let them wade in it to retrieve my parts.

Back