When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Extremely Rare "sportswheel Specialty Co" Mag Wheel Muscle Bike /stingray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Very rare "Sports Wheel Specialty Co", Wichita KS. 5 spoke bicycle mag wheel
to customize your Schwinn krate or stingray etc 20" bicycle. I believe the parts are
all stainless steel here, including the strip that bolts to your rim as the mag replaces
the need for spokes. This was removed from a Schwinn krate bike and is in
excellent condition. Unsure of the value but saw a similar mag on ebay recently
bring close to 500 dollars, this one appears to be higher quality. Starting this at
400.00 shipped.
pm here
or email [email protected]

mags.gif

magsportwheelwichks.gif

magspecialty.gif

Nice RARE item! Very cool!

Some more information on it...it is specifically made for a Schwinn S-2 wheel, with a Bendix Red Band hub. You will have to knock the flange off the end of the hub and line it up so the holes are straight across (rather than offset if you use spokes). Then it bolts right together. I would go to the local hardware store and get course thread bolts and locking nuts, it assembles way easier that way. The bolts and nuts that were supplied with these are fine thread and tough to use.

It will work on a Schwinn Disc Brake hub also, without modification.

One more weird thing, the instructions say to assemble the wheel with the stamped logo on the plates lined up, same location, same direction. No idea why, maybe because of the way they were stamped.

GLWTS!

Last edited:
Nice RARE item! Very cool!

Some more information on it...it is specifically made for a Schwinn S-2 wheel, with a Bendix Red Band hub. You will have to knock the flange off the end of the hub and line it up so the holes are straight across (rather than offset if you use spokes). Then it bolts right together. I would go to the local hardware store and get course thread bolts and locking nuts, it assembles way easier that way. The bolts and nuts that were supplied with these are fine thread and tough to use.

It will work on a Schwinn Disc Brake hub also, without modification.

One more weird thing, the instructions say to assemble the wheel with the stamped logo on the plates lined up, same location, same direction. No idea why, maybe because of the way they were stamped.

GLWTS!

NICE Thanks for that info!

This particular mag was removed from a DISC brake Schwinn krate wheel coincidentally.

Anyone seen these exchanging hands? Trying to determine a fair price on this.

These mag plates and rim strip were nickel plated. The reason I think they say to line up the plate stamps so it lines up on the hub. You don't have to knock off the flange. The plates are cut the same but when you flip one around the bolt pattern changes and is the same as the hub off set. They will only line up one way. So you put the first plate on the keep moving the other plate until the mag spokes line up perfect. Sometimes it comes close but doesn't line up. I have had a few of these mags before. $400 shipped is at the high end but not out of the question. $250 + Shipping is the low end for it. It has a nice deep stamp. The mag you saw sell for 500 was probably the Screamer mag.

sport%20mag%20ad%20002_zps8xbgzjgb.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20004_zpskv4pcqc4.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20006_zpsskzsj8xr.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20008_zpsrvvclctq.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20009_zpstfhcyn8c.jpg

Last edited:
The instructions say to knock the flange off though :D Damn shade tree mechanics in NY!

Here are pics of one with instructions. This is a rare item!

MagBag1.jpg

When I made these I kept the 2 piles of plates separate because I thought they were different. Then I found out they were cut the same. I put one plate on the hub with 2 bolts. Then the second plate only matches one way on one side. So if the first side didn't match up flip it over and try again. It was funny all the work I did for nothing. Maybe they didn't know it worked like that either....HaHa

These mag plates and rim strip were nickel plated. The reason I think they say to line up the plate stamps so it lines up on the hub. You don't have to knock off the flange. The plates are cut the same but when you flip one around the bolt pattern changes and is the same as the hub off set. They will only line up one way. So you put the first plate on the keep moving the other plate until the mag spokes line up perfect. Sometimes it comes close but doesn't line up. I have had a few of these mags before. $400 shipped is at the high end but not out of the question. $250 + Shipping is the low end for it. It has a nice deep stamp. The mag you saw sell for 500 was probably the Screamer mag.

--------Appreciate all the info on this..... The wheel is now on Ebay listed at no reserve..... started it at 99.00 bux
and some bids are trickling in already..... Where it goes, it goes......highest bidder gets the wheel.

sport%20mag%20ad%20002_zps8xbgzjgb.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20004_zpskv4pcqc4.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20006_zpsskzsj8xr.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20008_zpsrvvclctq.jpg

sport%20mag%20ad%20009_zpstfhcyn8c.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back