When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Brian Boothe

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone have any tips on finding old bikes? I live in northern Indiana and there a lot of barns and Amish around me. So, today I made some flyers and put them in mailboxes of houses with old barns. Think I'll have any luck?

Be warned that only authorized USPS mailmen are allowed by law to place items in a person's mailbox. I'd hit up the local bike trade-in/co-op, or try local junk yards and junk shops for stuff people are chucking. Yard sales are also an option. If you're willing to step it up a notch, check estate sales as well - you can find some nicer, older bikes at those sometimes.

Lol, Oh,C'mon.Whos gonna complain to the USPS about flyers in their mailbox? I used to hand out 100's of them and never had a complaint,to the contrary I got most of my jobs that way back then.

Your best bet is hit the flea markets and garage sales this spring and summer I got a 1954 3 Speed Schwinn Jaguar at a flea market last summer for $30 rough paint but all the parts are there.Then check for the bike swap meets listed here on the CABE and other internet sights. There is a swap meet in South Bend on March 26th I found on craigslist. Then the big show is Ann Arbor April 30th and Memory Lane swap meet the day before. In July is another big show in Portland IN 20th - 24th just takes a little looking on craigslist and other internet sights and once word gets out you want old bikes you will have people telling you they have an old bike about 1 out of 20 will be worth while but he fun is in the hunt. Good hunting.

Try to make connections with local pickers and let them know you have cash for bikes.

Anyone have any tips on finding old bikes? I live in northern Indiana and there a lot of barns and Amish around me. So, today I made some flyers and put them in mailboxes of houses with old barns. Think I'll have any luck?

I found two "old" bikes at different modern bike shops.
But they were not on the sale floor.
A Deluxe X-53 Western Flyer and a '52 Phantom.
I made it a point to get to know the folks at the shops and put the word out that
I'm always looking for old bikes.
The kid at one bike shop that sold me the Western called it a "Peewee Herman"
bike and had no use for it because it was heavy and no speeds.

I've had great success in auto swap meets, estate sales, eBay, flea market.
I have a friend who works for the city code compliance.
He goes around inspecting old buildings and junk lots that need cleaning.
He puts me in touch on old buildings that will be demolished and I've told
him that anything related with bikes even if rusted to let me know.
I follow up by checking with the owner and ask if I can go over and see
what I can salvage. I offer then money for going in. They always say yes.
Some don't care as long as I get rid of the junk.
Junk for them but gold for me.

Last edited:
Lol, Oh,C'mon.Whos gonna complain to the USPS about flyers in their mailbox? I used to hand out 100's of them and never had a complaint,to the contrary I got most of my jobs that way back then.

The mail police don't exist. Just try filing a mail fraud case with your local postmaster for a legitimate fraudulent loss (it is easy to do, they even have a special form); there will never be a resolution. I know this from experience.

Also run an ad in the local newspapers.

Back