When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Oa Bath Question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sfhschwinn

I live for the CABE
So I am soaking my 52 phantom parts in a bath right now going on 2 hours. Most of the heavy rust has come. Here's the question- there seems to be a build up of a black residue on the chrome, I just wiped all the pieces off with an old scotch brite pad just to get the crud and yellow build up off. The black residue seems hard to come off and is prominent in places where the chrome was nice such as where the hand grips were. Is this black residue normal and will it come off when the bath is done say around 24 hours or so? Also is 24 hours to long or does that depend on how much the rust comes off? Soaking in 2 pools, each have 24 gallons of water with 27-30 tablespoons in each. see this thread for a picture of bath at last post http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/52-phantom-rehab.92564/#post-588948

I think 24 hours is way to long. I also think you are at the strong side of mixing the bath. 1 tbsp per gallon will do the trick....most the action is done after 4-6 hours IMHE and then the yellow crap starts sticking to everything and the rust removal phase of the whole thing is coming to a hault. Black stuff?! I have no clue. I dont think its from the OA....Id like to know what it is though.

Ok so I think I will go dilute it right now then only problem is after 6 hours it will be 11PM for me so that is going to stink since I will have to go out in the dark with the mosquitoes to deal with the stuff.

I think your acid mix is way too strong. One word of caution here on Schwinn paint: I left a pair of blue Schwinn fenders in a mix that was less then half the strength of yours for 14 hours or so. The paint got so soft I could scratch it off with my finger. The only time I have left something in for a really long time is a badly rusted frame that I did not care about the paint. See my post in the restoration thread,"Seeing is Believing" posted April 29 2015 on what an overnight soak will do. Sometimes only a couple hours will be enough. Red paint sometimes turns lighter as the ox attacks iron oxide pigment used in some red paints:( as in the Schwinn chain guard. As far as the black residue , don't know.:(

I want to add this to this post. Last April 29 2014 for the post"seeing is believing" I soaked those Huffman fenders just to see what would the results be. I was actually throwing those fenders and light out in the trash. After they cleaned up so nice I waxed them and sold them at a swap! The Huffman paint, unlike the Schwinn paint remained hard and did not want to come off. I think I mixed the ox too strong back then.

Last edited:
I do 6-7 hours, check every couple. In some situations, it will work faster on some parts than others. The yellow residue comes with chrome left in the soak for to long. I like a vinegar soak for small chrome parts.

What concentration was this mix? That bath sounds too long and too strong to me. Was there any residue from the grips or other chemicals on the blackened section?

Also, that yellow build up should not be allowed to dry after the bath. Rinse and remove it straight off.

I took out after 4-5 hours. I checked it every hour to wipe off the yellow. I just spent the last hour rinsing everything off and wiping with the green scrub pad. everything had this black residue on it and I got a lot off but still seems like a lot. Not to happy with the results but probably my fault for the mixture. I saw every gallon was 1tbs-2 so I tried to get it right close to the 1. No instructions were present with the bag from Florida Labs. Hopefully with some elbow grase and blue magic in the morning everything will work out.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Not expecting perfect but would like a shine especially on the wheels

I have seen blackish color when there was rust under the chrome, so the acid eats the rust and makes the chrome fall off. it exposes the metal underneath and that looks sort of black. Hopefully that is not what happened in your case.

Back