When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First schwinn to play with

-
Ok my first battle with the rust is over for the day. I tried the foil method and lots of elbow grease. But only some of the rust came off. I think I'm going to have to up my scrubber to some 0000 steel wool.

18814380b7d1fac144a234964b34125f-1.jpg

7be370be3afa01c6462e3e89e84f495d-1.jpg

87bbbe66929e2c788b6b14752e3a3e06-1.jpg

a11d4931b8fa31a713aa831a055a64ed-1.jpg

The arms on the fenders are pretty rusty. As is the seat post, which I am thinking about replacing for saftey reasons.

Tomorrow I will try some acid as well. Oh and I tried the coke trick.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Um coke trick! Lol

Last edited:
Acid will definately cause you to not be as concerned with the saddle and fender braces.

All kidding aside, she is beautiful already, Some oxcilac(sp) acid on the braces may help. what is unsafe re: the seat? is there structural damage?
I believe my 1965 Typhoon had a Bendix as well.

I'm concerned with the structural integrity of the post itself. It seems very very rusty.

Oh and we're does one get that osilic acid?

I'm concerned with the structural integrity of the post itself. It seems very very rusty.

Oh and we're does one get that osilic acid?

Ox acid available at most hardware stores as wood bleach. I bought like 5 lbs of it off ebay cheaply.... Wire brush post and see whats left. I have one if you need one.

the seat post will be fine. It is not really rusty rather the chrome is gone due to the rust that ate it off. I have ridden worse posts than that. You will be fine, it is American made high quality steel.

Just remember that if you Oxalic acid those braces, the acid will remove whatever plating is also left on them. If you don't mind stripping them to bare metal and re-finishing, that is ok. But if you are trying to save any plating left on them, the acid will hurt, not help here.

Back