When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First schwinn to play with

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It looks like you got a nice Schwinn to start with. Congrats Melissa. A Schwinn is always a good place to start and yours looks pretty good.

Just remember that if you Oxalic acid those braces, the acid will remove whatever plating is also left on them. If you don't mind stripping them to bare metal and re-finishing, that is ok. But if you are trying to save any plating left on them, the acid will hurt, not help here.
I did not know that about the acid eating the paint off. Thank you for stopping me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

So will the acid step the chrome? Or damage aluminum rims?

You're going to use a "diluted" form of Oxalic Acid that is not as strong as the deck bleaching mixture. It should not be a threat to chrome. In fact, it is one of the better methods for removing rust from chrome parts. Some people see the acid "pulling up" or "flaking" chrome. What is really happening is that rust has gotten under the chrome, and the oxalic acid is attacking the rust. The chrome falls off because rust has gotten under it, not because the acid is attacking the chrome. This is generally an issue only with very badly off pieces. Chrome parts in fair or better condition often respond very well to acid treatment.

Do not subject aluminum to Oxalic Acid- it can dull and pit aluminum parts. The same goes for CAD plated and galvanized parts- do not subject them to acid as it may damage the surface.

Painted steel parts should be dipped with caution and close monitoring for paint loss. Many painted parts respond well, but some respond poorly depending on the composition of the paint and primer at hand.

I am soaking a rim right now. It is cleaning up nicely. But I can feel rough specs of rust on the rim. Am I not soaking it log enough or is this what happens?

The soak can take awhile if you have a lot of rust. Every so often, I take a copper or bronze bristle brush and gently brush the rust patches to help the process along. Remember if the rust went through the plating to the base steel, you will have a rough spot permanently. Oxalic acid removes surface rust and will clean out pitting, but the actual loss of plating from years of rust is permanent unless you re-plate.

Oh what will this do to the sprocket?

If the sprocket is chrome plated, it will respond the same as the other chromed parts. I don't have too many Schwinn sprockets from the 1960s, but the ones I have from the 1940s responded well enough.

Back