When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying merkel project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

redline1968

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Posting on this project site I've got the frame awhile back. Finally fitted the parts I have to see how much work it needs. The bike is a short frame and the fenders even though they are Miami have to refitted in the rear. I have the correct mussel man brake hub and rims. Just missing the correct crank and pedals.. Got time to find them.. The bike will have to be put on hold for winter. Here are some pics of the bike. I removed the ornament it looks wrong on it. The rear rack is in the time frame but an aftermarket of the time. It's gonna stay since it had no rear kick stand originally. I will straighten out the fenders and paint/pin strip it in factory orange color. Will have white tires also

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 718
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 471
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 462
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 460
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 489
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 462
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 458
Your Flying Merkle project is an inspiration !

I have an Iver (year unknown).

qqzjtwpng-1.jpg

Has the 1” crank & rear Morrow hub.

The wheels/tires need replacing but not sure what to use that will fit the Morrow hub

The handlebars above on the bike are not that long. I just didn’t push the rubber grips all the way in.
I was checking to see how they look.

Below is the original bars which I will be using.

2edctnbpng-1.jpg

I’m looking forward to your Merkle Project & check to see what you use for the wheels/tires.

Good Luck !

Last edited:
Thanks I will and I will show the progress on the metal and paint work also. Wish I had started earlier but that's the way it goes. Winter is closeing in and time for parts hunting.

Wow the iver rocks...had some dry time today and decided to rework the rear fender to fit this frame.. The frame is small and the feeders were for a taller frame Miami. When I place them in they are very close to the seat post tube. Yikes but that's the way this one is.. I like to use orig fenders. These are correct Miami but Sometimes you have to do with what you have when parts are rare. I had to rework the crimps for fitment to the frame. next time I will weld up the odd holes and hammer out the small dents. These fenders are automotive quality thickness and work very well with repairs..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 383
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 370
Wow the iver rocks...had some dry time today and decided to rework the rear fender to fit this frame.. The frame is small and the feeders were for a taller frame Miami. When I place them in they are very close to the seat post tube. Yikes but that's the way this one is.. I like to use orig fenders. These are correct Miami but Sometimes you have to do with what you have when parts are rare. I had to rework the crimps for fitment to the frame. next time I will weld up the odd holes and hammer out the small dents. These fenders are automotive quality thickness and work very well with repairs..

Thanks for the compliment.
Coming from a Merkel owner....that really rocks ! :cool:

Are you going to repaint the fenders or leave them original ?

My iver has some spots that need repainting but the decals are so nice,
that I’m not sure about repainting. Thanks.
ylz43-1.jpg

nqd6px-1.jpg

Oh ..No please don't touch it you have great patina. I'd look for a fender with same color and age..if you don't have one. Or restore and distress a fender to match the rest. As for Mine, all color and parts were long gone so I'm restoring it with the original merkel color with fine black pin stripes / decals. Making it a durable enamel color as close to factory as I can get including the correct color primer.

Last edited:
Oh ..No please don't touch it you have great patina. I'd look for a fender with same color and age..if you don't have one. Or restore and distress a fender to match the rest. As for Mine, all color and parts were long gone so I'm restoring it with the original merkel color with fine black pin stripes / decals. Making it a durable enamel color as close to factory as I can get including the correct color primer.

if you are going with original merkel color....

I say you should go with the way they were originally painted !

From the “good-old-days”...
qrc70lgif-1.jpg

.....using the latest technology , paint brushes & gasoline
was used in conjunction with the enamel.

Back then, they were sanded with gasoline between
brush-painted coats and then polished with
emery cloth. It was a slow process but that’s what
gives them that period look that you won’t get
using a spray gun.

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea and test it out. If the results look nice that be grea but I'm not sure how the enamel paint will react with gas but I like new challenges.

Back