When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found my first bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dgoldman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Well, she's a 1936 "C" model. Bike is pretty much complete with the exception of a few parts. Very rusty and crusty. Don't know if I can bring it back to the original black? Front hub is black and not much has cut through what ever it is. The blue is a spray can and someone through the Years sprayed it with silver too. I am going to clean up as best I can and get it back to riding shape. Any tips on the best way to clean the chain? Here's a few picks. Headbadge cleaned up real nice. All suggestions are welcome. Robbie

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

Congrats on your first bike!
Before you strip the black off of the front hub you may want to check the age of your straight bar. It could be a WWII black out hub.
If you flip your bike over on the bottom side of the bottom bracket, the bottom of the crank, should be a series of a letter and numbers. Google search Schwinn serial number look up and see what you have.
As far as the chain I soak it in penetrating oil for a few days, clean it and then soak in some oil.
If you search the CABE you can answer almost every question on every bike.
Welcome to the addiction!

Before you strip the black off of the front hub you may want to check the age of your straight bar. It could be a WWII black out hub.
If you flip your bike over on the bottom side of the bottom bracket, the bottom of the crank, should be a series of a letter and numbers. Google search Schwinn serial number look up and see what you have.
As far as the chain I soak it in penetrating oil for a few days, clean it and then soak in some oil.
What years did they make black out hubs? On the outside of the hub where the bearing race is I see some chrome poking through.

The post says '36 so I don't think blackout hubs would be original--if that's what they are. The online serial charts won't work for this bike but if you look at the top of this thread where it says serial numbers go through the posts until you see a chart with prewar numbers on it. V/r Shawn

Serial number is the early,sloppy cursive type,definitely a 1936. Rear hub is the early/first generation new departure model d. Front hub is new departure,81 years young.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Soak the chain in white vinegar for 24 hrs then take a wire brush to it the rust should brush off if still some rust left soak again, finish up with some brake clean and more brushing then I put it in a Ziploc bag and cover with a coat of Marvel Mystery oil until I am ready to put it on.

I have 1 too. My favorite bike to put my favorite parts I find...
Also rides awesome; like a magic carpet.
We will put together a So Cal C Mod Ride when you're ready; let us know.
e37a8acf3147fb7776a6e257c82f3cc6.jpg

Back